harpcolumn

Music Therapist or Therapeutic Musician?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Performing Music Therapist or Therapeutic Musician?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chiara
    Participant

Hello Everyone!
    First off, this is my first time posting on ‘Harp Column’; I have had to submit this a few times for it to come up on my end, so if you see this post more than once, please excuse my lack of computer skills!:)
    I am a harp student from Pa, and am strongly considering studying harp in college after graduation. I am wondering if anyone is a practicing music therapist/ therapeutic musician? I considering this as something I may do in the future, but am unsure of the employment opportunities. I was thinking to maybe do it as kind of an “on the side thing” as well as teaching the harp, performing, etc. Can anyone give me any more details on the life of a music therapist/ therapeutic musician? Are they wanted/needed much in the harp world, and is it an enjoyable and rewarding career to have?
    Also, where is the best place to get an accreditation as a therapeutic musician?
    Thanks!
    Chiara

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Chiara.
    balfour-knight
    Participant

Hello Chiara!

One of the best sources of information on this subject is my friend, Angi Bemiss, in Atlanta, GA. You may get on her website at Simply the Harp, and contact her. I know that she would be willing to correspond with you and help answer your questions.

Best wishes,
    Balfour (and Carol Lynn)

Chiara
    Participant

Thanks a lot! I will definitely check out the website and look into contacting her!

Chiara

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Chiara.
    susan-page-howland
    Participant

Hello Chiara,
    First, there are significant differences between Music Therapists (bachelor or masters degree required) and therapeutic musicians……generally a certificate program.
    I am a harpist and CMP (certified music practitioner), but not working in the field, I only do some volunteer work. You might look at the Music for Healing and Transition website and contact them for advice/guidance.
    https://www.mhtp.org/

If you are interested in Music Therapy I would look for schools offering this major and do an internet search to see if what music therapists do lines up with your goals.

If you are not proficient on the harp you will need a good teacher, but maybe your college has one.

All the best in your search,
    Susan Howland

Chiara
    Participant

Thank you, Susan! I will definitely check out their website. Any information regarding this is much needed and appreciated!
    While I am studying under an excellent harp teacher right now, my college, as far as I know, does not offer majors in music therapy. Additionally, while I do love the idea of being able to play for the sick, I would probably not be interested (or financially able) to spend 4 years studying music therapy (or more for a master’s program). I have always seen my future self as a “professional” harpist (if that is the right term to use:)), playing at events and possibly teaching. This is why I am strongly considering getting a BA in music education or music performance. However, since I understand that this might not be sufficient to make a living from, I was thinking to maybe take a therapeutic musician’s program to have an additional source of income. It would also be lovely to do some volunteer work as a therapeutic musician, if my financial situation allowed!
    Additional thoughts on this, anyone?

I suspect there are a lot more jobs for music therapists. You might also consider music education. I have a colleague who went that route, taught kindergarten-level music, and had a full career in addition. It also depends on which school you go to and what they offer. You don’t really have to decide until at least your junior year of college. Start as a music major and see how that develops. You can then add therapy or education to it, or in graduate school. I think education will pay more than therapy. I don’t think there are very many jobs in therapeutic harp, it depends on the area.

Chiara
    Participant

Thank you for your response, Mr. Zlatkovski!

Yes, I had thought about majoring in either music education or music performance in college. I feel like I would probably want to go with performance in the end, but you’re right, it might be smart to just start out with a general music major, and then go from there. Do you know anything about employment opportunities for music performance majors? Therapy was really something I was going to do on the side, possibly even just as volunteering work.

harp3645
    Participant

Dear Chiara,

I became a CCM through Harp for Healing and it has changed my life. It is the most amazing journey I could have imagined. I have decades experience as a church organist and an entertainment pedal harpist and it is incredibly rewarding. If you would like to chat about it, feel free to reach out at info@healingharpbyjoanna.com. I would love to answer any questions you may have.

Music Education is probably still the most practical choice. Another option might be studio engineering, but that probably requires a lot of investment in equipment. I wish I had learned plumbing to pay the bills. Many working-class semi-skilled or skilled jobs pay much better and maybe some can be done part-time. But you don’t have to worry about that so much until senior year.

There’s also recreational music, such as playing for children or seniors, not sure what job title that gets, or what training, if any.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies