harpcolumn

Music Detective

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Music Detective

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Okay, gang. Here’s a new assignment: we must track down a copy of this unpublished piece and publish it.

http://www.mmb.org.gr/page/default.asp?la=2&id=2044&bib=32335&SintetisD=82&EIDOS=40&YFrom=&YTo=&idd=0&iddP=0

A sight-reading piece for harp by Gabriel Faure from July, 1904. Does anyone know anything about it? Is the only copy in Greece? Or in Paris? Where in the world…

diana-lincoln
    Participant

On the Greek website under availability the word “no” was written in Greek. It must be in some other catalogue or collection…good luck.

carl-swanson
    Participant

The sight-reading piece must be at the Paris Conservatory. In those days, each year for the final exam in each instrument, there was a brand new piece for each instrument that the students got one month in advance of the exam. But there was also a sight reading piece, usually not very long, that each student had to read at the exam. I’m sure there are a bunch of these in the Paris Conservatory archives.

MusikFind1
    Participant

Halbreich gives the unpublished Prelude et Blues for four Chromatic Harps the number H 56.

I think I saw the Honegger in the rental catalog. The Greek listing suggested that there might be library copies around.

A tip to harpists: there are many more pieces for harp to be found in rental catalogs of publishers. For instance, the Schirmer rental catalog includes the harp with orchestra arrangements of MacDowell’s To a Wild Rose and the Liadow

This leads to another question: were all of the harpists in the Casadesus quartet members of that famous musical family? Perhaps that is why the father composed 24 Preludes for viola d’amore and harp.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>Who wrote the other sight-reading pieces in other years?

It would be interesting to have a complete list. Marilyn Costello published a collection of two of them, by Franck and Delibes, if I remember rightly–too lazy to go digging right now, and I think they’re out of print. Oxford Press, was it?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I thought the Morceau de concours was the big main piece, and the Morceau à déchiffrer was the sight-reading piece, incidentally. Is that wrong?

The Morceau de Concours is a recital piece, that’s right. But the one for flute doesn’t compare to the harp pieces, so it may have been retitled for sale. I would have to get it out and look at the explanation. My recollection is that it is a sight-reading piece. Maybe not.

Oxford University Press did publish the two that Miss Costello found, there should be dealers who still have copies, they are wonderful pieces.

One of the interesting things I found was looking in old publishers catalogues and finding pieces that had gone out of print, and there is a reprint of an 18th-century Breitkopf & Haertel catalog that has several harp works listed in it. If one were to do a complete bibliography of harp music, one would have to search all those old sources. Wouldn’t it be nice if someone in Germany would unearth all those old pieces.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I suppose that a fair amount that was in Germany was lost, but I’m sure there’s still a lot of interesting harp music lurking around in the libraries of Europe. I’ve often wished someone would turn up that rumored Concertino by Mendelssohn, for one thing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies