harpcolumn

Multistring string spacing

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Multistring string spacing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    talfryn
    Participant

Hello I thought I’d try for advice here, there have been a few threads recently about string spacing, but this question is a little different so I start a new thread.
    Does anyone have an idea of string spacing on ‘arpa doppias’ the Italian renaissance style harps. I have been asked to make one by a local professional harpist here in France who has a few historic harps.
    I am drawing up at the moment and can’t settle on the string spacing of these double row harps, with the accidentals on one row and the scale notes on the other. I only have a lot of photos but have never seen one in the flesh. The harpist must be able to reach through each row to play the other, so I need to keep an even string pitch and widen the spacing. Does anyone have any ideas of the string spacing on ‘arpa doppias’ or even triple harps which also have the same problem reaching through.
    When I make celtic harps I normally go from 12 mm at the treble end to 15 mm at the bass end.
    I was considering to take the scale row on the arpa doppia to 20mm and then use the same 20mm on the accidental row, only offset to be between the string centres of the scale row.. with a 10 mm spacing between the rows. Hope it makes sense.
    Even playing around with the sound board string angle this leads to a pretty tall soundbox..
    I am currently modeling on my CAD system on the computer so everything is changeable at this stage.
    So in summary can anyone suggest how much space is needed between the strings to reach through to the other side on an arpa doppia or triple harp..

balfour-knight
    Participant

Does the professional harpist who requested this harp have any ideas? I have never seen or played one, so I cannot help you there. Maybe someone here will see this and offer some advice.

Best wishes,
    Balfour

Do what fits your hand. It doesn’t matter how it was done in ancient times, you’re the one who’s going to play it, and you are probably a good size bigger than they were.

balfour-knight
    Participant

I think Saul has the right idea, Talfryn. The string spacing should be comfortable by modern standards rather than follow something from ancient times. How is this project coming?

Best wishes,
    Balfour

talfryn
    Participant

Thanks Balfour and Saul,
    I am still researching, there’s a lot of compromises, if I make something which I think is comfortable the soundboard will be very tall. I have built a small model just suspending 6 short strings suspended between a couple of wooden bars to mock up possible string patterns. I am not convinced of a solution yet. It’s a puzzle, how close or far?, dare I go to be able to reach through whilst still being able to comfortably play a triad. Also what technique would the player use to play this type of harp? Where the instrument maker comes up against a limit, the solution is normally the harpists technique.

I don’t really want to invest considerable time and end up building an unplayable instrument. I have emailed a few luthiers but no responses yet.
    So I am still asking questions, to be confident I would really like to contact a harpist who plays an arpa doppia or a triple harp.
    I’ll probably pay a visit to the national folk museum when I visit family in Wales at Christmas. If anyone here plays or has played such instruments I’d love to hear from you…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies