harpcolumn

megan harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists megan harp

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Zen,
    Thanks so much for your answer, you made my day! I know I’m still “out of tune” and know so little, if nothing, but my ear tells me when it hurts. So I try to get it right. I couldn’t even play “Frere Jacques” when I started so I had to improvise. It sounds right now, but I had to put the music away. My concern is: if I play a new piece of music and my harp is not to be trusted, then what? Am I going to have to improvise and play it by ear? Taking on bad habits until the right harp comes along? Sylvie

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Hi, Sylvie.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Zen, thanks again for your answer. I own a Matrix SR-4000 chromatic tuner. It seems ok to me. I see you recommend a pick up. I don’t have one of those but I read it is a piece you can attach directly to the string so you can tune more accuratly without background sound, is that right?
    Actually my question was more about levers. I was reading the piece about Julia Haninger and learned some from it. My problem is not so much tuning but it’s more a lever problem. So as you said I should probably retune a few “accidentals” according to the music. I just don’t trust the levers on my harp. I have tried it with some music I know and it was like, terrible.
    Sylvie

Tacye
    Participant

I have seen levers on harps of that make which were in completely the wrong place- so bad I could tell by eye without trying them.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

The levers on your harp are undoubtedly worthless in their current
    configuration.

S M
    Participant

In response to a comment made earlier — now, I could be wrong, but if I’m not — Mideast harps DO have some kind of a warranty.

Zen Sojourner
    Participant

Why spend even $900 for an inferior instrument when the same money will buy you something with a 5 year warranty that covers EVERYTHING?

I have repeatedly attempted to contact the distributor of these but have never heard anything back regarding any warranty.

HBrock25
    Participant

Hi Silvie — not sure if you’re still around to get this, but I met Harvey about 20 years ago when he came to Tulsa Junior College to perform for our student group.

Sylvie, yes, I remember Harvi Griffin, an amazing harpist, who indeed has passed away. I also, like Dale, have his cassette; mine is called “The Other Side”. On it are these

Well, now maybe you know of one person who still plays their Mid-East harp? I have a 22 string version of that harp, and it is holding up fine. I saved up and bought it myself when I was 10 or 11 and I have been playing it for almost 3 years.

Besides the levers, which don’t stay up, it has reasonable sound for the price I got it for. Actually, my harp is a SuperHarp, it doesn’t have any cracks or serious injuries despite being knocked over about once a month by siblings; and even though I play it ALL THE TIME none of the strings have broken and I have never replaced them. I ought to…)

I got mine from a different retailer, and I don’t know, maybe they check for quality. I wouldn’t recommend a larger size to anyone, if I were to get a 34 string harp I would want to get a better quality; but for less than $300 dollars for a brand new beginners harp, it’s not so bad.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies