harpcolumn

MeadoWind 36 Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists MeadoWind 36 Harp

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Not to throw another monkey wrench in the works, but I have to say again, lap harps aren’t the easiest harps to start with. Blevins makes some lovely instruments, but how frustrated are you going to get trying to learn to balance the instrument while you’re just learning to play?

unknown-user
    Participant

Audrey,

That is a very valid point! Actually, what made me decide to consider the little Cameo is that Cindy explained to me how to hold it and even sent a picture to demonstrate, and she said she’d be happy to give me phone lessons and coach me on it.

Maybe this will be a good tidbit for you with your harpsicle–she said the best way is to sit on a piano keyboard bench with your legs on either side (with the bench turned longways so there’s room in front of you) and then hold the harp in front of you, resting it on the bench. I think I saw someone else mention in one thread that you can also put a cushion or something else in front of the harp to keep it from slipping.

As I said earlier, it’s VERY possible that I will change my mind again, so I’ll just wait and see what happens. 🙂

Thanks again, Audrey!

unknown-user
    Participant

Will the Christina be slippy, slidy too? Can I play it in bed? It’s comforting to have a harp you can play when you’re sick.

Can Christina owners enlighten me?

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Pippin- Go to the Triplett website, check the dimensions of the Christina, then mark a yardstick and hold it in front of you.

I think you may be surprised how tall the “small” harps are. The Sharpsicle is significantly thinner but still fairly tall.

One of the therapy websites has a picture of many of the current therapy harps being held by a lady who teaches harp therapy. I think if you google “therapy harp” or “therapy harp programs” you’ll be able to find it.

I got an amazing price on my Lewis Creek Nightingale by checking the established second hand harp sites regularly.

Finally, there are now several of the Blevins harps pictured with a lovely young lady holding them so that you can see what they look like in someone’s arms, another helpful point. She is also pictured using a portable bench to support several of the harps in different ways.

I love my Nightingale but I usually play it propped on a

unknown-user
    Participant

Sherry,

That’s one of my mom’s favorite quotes “If there’s a will, there’s a way.” She ingrained that in me as I grew up and I think that’s why I can be so hardheaded now when I’m determined about something! 🙂

Where are the pictures of the Blevins harps being held? I would love to see that.

Thanks,
    Becky

brook-boddie
    Participant

Pippin,

I own a Christina Therapy harp, and it’s a great instrument.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Becky, Go to the Blevins website, then the small-lap harps thread, scroll down to the Phoenix, a very large lap harp, and you will see several pictures of it being played. I think Cindy is adding pictures gradually because some of the other lap harps have pictures too so you have to check each one to see them.

Hope this helps!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I don’t have a problem with my Harpsicle anymore, because I found a decent lap bar that fits it.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi all. Great thoughts.

I bought a Blevinsong 36 when I started, having been advised to get as many strings as I could afford and had space for.

Tacye
    Participant

Another option that has not been mentioned is the Waring ‘cardboard’ harp.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Audrey and Brook thanks for the feedback on the Christina. I think I would let the teacher decide! Phew!

When I have enough money to start lessons, I’ll tell her I haven’t gotten enough money for a really good harp yet and ask her if she’s willing to teach me on the Christina while I hold out for my dream harp. If not, I will buy whatever she suggests…probably some pedal trainer like the Korrigan. Won’t keep it permanently, will sell to another student when I get something better….

But I will definitely buy the Christina at some point (I want to have a therapy harp)

unknown-user
    Participant

I sort of miss the days when I was playing my guitar and violin. They always came in standard sizes and with 6 or 4 strings…and you needn’t have more than one at home…

Also, I feel kinda cheated by all those fantasy novel illustrations with tiny handheld harps…it seems that a real lap harp with such dimensions don’t exist or it would be a toy! lol How on earth could one travel around the country on foot with something the size of a Christina strapped on?! How did those medieval troubadours manage?

I suppose I can keep the Korrigan around for freebie gigs or rent it out…ok shall shut up on this issue…

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

Er…I think you may want to rethink that whole “really good harp” phrasing.

unknown-user
    Participant

Ummm, I meant really good floor harp…I don’t think local teachers are familiar with lap harps and I’m not sure if they’re willing to teach someone with such a limited range. They’re mostly focused on pop or classical music.

I’ll be grateful for anything as long as it’s a real harp even though it’s not my ideal harp. Poor people can’t be choosers.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hey Becky!

Tough decision uh? Don’t worry about changing your mind, different opininons give you different ideas, what would the forum be here for otherwise? I’m used to my 34 strings lever harp, and I was not fond of lap harps at all (shame on me, I know! But I sow the light later on…) but when I started playing outdoor I rented a lap harp because mine was to big and heavy to carry everywhere (on top of that mauntain where the the beautiful lake is, to the far off tent on the other side of the festival area where off course the car can’t get, and so on…) and I also found it difficoult to hold the harp, and the strings where fewer, and the tension was different, I personally

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies