harpcolumn

Marion 34 vs. Dusty Strings 34

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Marion 34 vs. Dusty Strings 34

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    kynkari
    Participant

This is all very interesting info! Looks like Stoney End harps all have a solid wood frame and pinblock, plywood sides and back panels and the soundboard is 3 mm aircraft birch laminate.

I don’t find my Briar Rose plinky but it also isn’t as big sounding as the L&H Prelude I learned on.

Tell me more about the R harp Merlin… Someone mentioned it to mentioned it to me and I dismissed because I had never heard of it..

Biagio
    Participant

The Merlin is by Rick Rubarth, who started out making and playing guitars. Rick has done some very innovative things and many people love the rich cello-like tone of the bass strings. The neck and pillar are high density ply (like L&H and several others) and the strings are fluorocarbon. I almost bought one myself but got a little insane in the sawdust department:-)

The only objection I’ve ever heard is that the string access holes are very small, so replacing a treble string from the inside can be a bit of a chore. To deal with that I’ve suggested alligator forceps – those that took the advice report “no more problems.”

Nice harp – it took first place at the Harpcon blind competition several years ago.

Biagio

kynkari
    Participant

Indeed! I’m in love with the sound files! Looks like it would be even harder for me to locate one to try on a store, though.

Any comment on tension? It mentions online that the tension is lighter, but I’m not sure if that means really loose like some lap harps, or on the lighter side of medium like a Stoney End.

kynkari
    Participant

Oh, and this may be a stupid question, but how does changing strings even work in the Merlin if the back is enclosed?

Biagio
    Participant

You would have to ask Rick (or someone else) about the tension; it’s been a long time since I played one. I do recall that they were firm and responsive; a local pedal harp teacher used the Merlins for her student rentals so they must not be too floppy.

My guess is they would FEEL a little lighter than an FH since they are fluorocarbon. That FC stuff may be at higher static tension than nylon but it is a more elastic material than gut or nylon. So it may not feel as tense compared to the others at the same static tension.

I believe that most owners thread the strings in the front and/or bottom, as you would a Paraguayan.

I gather that you live in Virginia (?) In any case you might join the International Society of Folk Harpers and Craftsmen and see if there is a chapter near you. It’s really worth doing any way. There are pedalists members and advertisers but as well but it’s mostly about “folk” harps. Always lots of good music, articles, and reviews.

Biagio

Biagio
    Participant

Kynkari, I just went over and checked a few things on the Merlin and talked to a friend who owns one. Here’s the info”

-Nanci says that the access hole issue is up in the treble where the hole is pretty small and about six inches lower than the upper few strings. There are three holes – again, fairly small.

-One well known professional who likes the Merlin: Martha Gallagher. She would be a good person to talk to.

-Just ball parking from the dimensions I’d guess that the tension is a biut lighter than my Selchie. That’s about the same size and uses similar strings in some places. But I like somewhat higher tension than most so I have heavier ones. The Selchie comes in at an average of 30 lbs. per string; my guess is that the Merlin is more like 26 or so. Realize that the more strings and lower the bass the higher the average – this is true for any harp.

Those bass silk core steel wound strings are really sweet; you don’t often find them on a harp of that low a price!

Cheers,
    Biagio

kynkari
    Participant

Again, super helpful! You all are so knowledgeable!

I actually live in southern Indiana. We had one teacher in the area who moved about two years ago and now the closest teacher for me is a about 3.5 hours one way. :/ Not much in the way of harps to try out either. Rees is about 3.5 hours away and Atlanta Harp Center is 7.5 hours.

Biagio
    Participant

Heh, well I got into harps by making them and designers talk to each other a lot. Great community.

Rees makes wonderful harps too. William has retired and his son Garin now runs the business. Super nice people!

Biagio

kynkari
    Participant

Oh, yes!! Love all of Rees harps! The Aberdeen Meadow is on my ultimate wish list! I need to play better to justify the expense of that one, but some day…

I had stopped playing for about a year, but I’ve started again so I’m working my way through Darlene Waltons’s online classes at Rees right now as a refresher. Highly recommend these as they are excellent value for the cost!

kynkari
    Participant

Just A follow up: I went with the RHarp! I got it today and I love it! It’s beautiful and the sound is big and mellow, but not overly so. Definitely reminds me of a cello. The staved back is also super comfortable, and I love the fluorocarbon strings!

Thank you everyone for your advice and help!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies