harpcolumn

Manly Harps

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Manly Harps

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

I agree with Aaron, all should be free to play whatever instruments they like!

I’m the queen of ornate carving, guilding and victoriana myself…

tony-morosco
    Participant

+++How old would you like it to be?+++

I’m not certain when the cut off was when they started to make changes. But I have tried one that is about 20 years old and it was noticeably different from one I saw that was only a couple of years old.

But don’t get me wrong, if I had a chance to get a new one at a decent price I wouldn’t hesitate. I like the older one’s best, but I still like the new ones a whole lot.

tony-morosco
    Participant

+++I agree with Aaron, all should be free to play whatever instruments they like!+++

Sure, but I don’t think anyone is arguing that we shouldn’t. Just the opposite.

If I don’t like the way a harp looks, for any reason, I shouldn’t have to play it. I am glad there are so many options today that I can find harps that suite my style.

I DO what I want regardless of gender associations. I play the harp. I knit. I cook, I garden etc… but at the same time I have a more masculine sense of style. I don’t decorate with lace and flower patterns. I don’t care for pastels. And I don’t care for frilly harps.

There is nothing wrong with any of these things, if they are what you like. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a man wanting a highly ornamented, gold gilded harp with frilly flower decorations on the soundboard. If that is what a man wants then more power to him.

But it’s not what I want, and apparently I am not the only one. So more power to the man who wants that kind of a harp. But also more power to the men who want a different kind of harp. I should have every bit as much of a right to be able to play a harp that suits MY style and sensibilities as the guy who likes something else without having to be called into question for my taste in things.

unknown-user
    Participant

Yes, it is all style and sensibilities. I don’t think anything wrong with a guy playing a “frilly” harp, the harp may look frilly but that does not mean he does! And vice versa, all those drop dead glam photos of the Angelaires playing Salzedo models! Those gals still looked glamorous and gorgeous, even though the harps are

brook-boddie
    Participant

Good comments, Ro and Tony.

unknown-user
    Participant

Hello all –

how big a role do you think the finish plays, especially the darker ones?

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Brookster,

Yes, it is interesting as the gigs I’ve done recently on my 100 everyone says how

unknown-user
    Participant

Oh and I forgot to say Brook, yes, I’ve seen a couple of Minerva’s with no gold. One had restrained silver hightlights just on the middle section of the column. And

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Tony,

Do you happen to know what changes have been made over the last few years?

vince-pierce
    Participant

Aaron, I hope you understand that I am in no way worried about gender stereotypes! I wouldn’t be playing the harp if I were. But I do appreciate that you answered the topic. And I have to admit, it is kind of fun to play a gold harp. I’m just trying to decide which harp I will one day get, and I was interested to hear others’ perspectives.

vince-pierce
    Participant

I never dreamed I would make a post that one of the Does would respond to…I’m kind of embarrassed now! haha

tony-morosco
    Participant

I think there have been a few changes made at different times, so it is

Charles
    Participant

Rosemary,

In order for me to truely get even

Charles
    Participant

HA HA

Charles
    Participant

Dear Mimi and anyone else who may have been offended by the Spinster comment.

It was a mistake! the “short, fat and heavy”

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies