harpcolumn

Majoring in Music?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Majoring in Music?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    HBrock25
    Keymaster

Hey Barbara. It’s a long story… I hope to get it fixed at some point.
    It’s not the database, it’s something the webserver is doing on the way
    there. One of these days when I have time I’ll track it down.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I love the discussion this has generated, and I hope more people put their opinions here as well.

I understand entirely the philosophical approach to this question.

Tacye
    Participant

At least in the UK there can be very little financial value in going to
    university; the type of person who will do well will do well without,
    but most highflighers do carry on studying which makes the statistics
    more difficult.

unknown-user
    Participant

I have a fascinating book called Success and How to Win It in Classical Music or something like that. It has always been the same. You need money, or a patron or the like for a concert career. When was it published? 1916!

louise-vickerman
    Participant

My husband’s mom recalls a speech given at his graduation ceremony by the Dean when he got his bachelor’s at Eastman in 1984 telling the assembled parents & relatives that only 2% of all the music graduates would manage to make a living actually playing their instrument! She remembers the shock & thinking “what a dangerous career she had sent her son off into, and how much money had gone into this endeavor, especially at such an expensive private music conservatory!” But she was impressed by his honesty and realism especially since his own job relied upon those very music students.

Both mine and my husbands parents were not in the artistic professions (science, law and psychology!) so were quite unaware of the small job market and blindly let us follow our dreams which luckily for both of us worked out favorably. The problem of student debt here is a big one, I hear now becoming an issue in the UK too. When I was a student it wasn’t such a big deal, I went to the local conservatory (government subsidised) & lived at home so incurred no debt for my BA, I sunk in all my savings for grad school in the US (as a foreigner I did not quaify for loans) and scrounged around for scholarships, gigged and lived very frugally so managed to graduate without any student debt. For friends I have seen saddled with enormous loan payments for school, it has been painful to watch them struggle to make ends meet while trying to make their career in music.

I have no problem with students wanting to do their undergraduate work in the arts field, however, with advanced higher education it should be carefully considered since the failure rate is so high. Has anyone read “Mozart in the Jungle” by Blair Tindall? Wow, that was one depressing look at the employment outlook for classically trained musicians, although written from the perspective of just one person, it still paints a bleak portrait of the business!

unknown-user
    Participant

HELLO CARL, LET ME TELL YOU MY STORY, I AM, A PROFFESIONAL HARPIST GRADUATED FROM THE HIGH INSTITUE OF MUSIC IN DAMASCUS STUDYING THERE FOR 5 YEARS,

alexander-rider
    Participant

Tayce- I wasn’t saying that people don’t know things that are’t taught. I just would find it hard to teach myself the more difficult disciplines of music alone. I had to think reallyhard about my degree. The truth is had I studied, French, German or European studies, I know that I could not focus on the harp and practise as I much as I would want. I still have doubts, but I’ll just have to see what happens when I get there. If I’m not satisfied, or I feel I have no future in the harp or in music in general, I will change my course. Louise, I too read Blair’s book, and I found it fascinating, but depressing!.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Thanks, Hugh. Yeah, I knew it must be something the server was doing, but I thought maybe you did your own hosting.

tony-morosco
    Participant

+++In the real world, this is very nearly impossible, at least for performance+++

I was thinking more along the lines of composition. I can already play and after years of playing don’t see a need to get a degree in performance, but there are many other areas of music with degree options that are both useful and satisfying.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Hi, Louise. Yes, when I got to Eastman, around that same time, during orientation Bob Freeman (the director of the school) got all the new students into Kilbourne Hall and made a lengthy speech, with many numbers, the gist of which was, “Here’s how much money the Chicago Symphony lost last year. What makes you think they’ll give you a job?” Miss Malone also used to urge her students, even in those plummy days of Sunday brunch and restaurant gigs, to have a fallback plan in case they couldn’t make a living as performers.

Tacye
    Participant

Alex, I am confident that if you had done an undergraduate course in
    say languages you would then find it more possible to teach yourself
    the advanced musical topics you want to learn.

alexander-rider
    Participant

Tayce, you made your point wonderfully, honest.

carl-swanson
    Participant

If I can throw something from my own experience in here. After 10 years of very intensive study, from the age of 18 to 28, I realized that an orchestra position, (which I thought I was training for at the time) was not going to happen.

unknown-user
    Participant

Good luck in Dubai. I hope you can make enough to buy a good harp and start working. It is not so different here. My teacher had a graduate student from the Dominican Republic who didn’t have his own harp, and had to work full-time until he had enough to buy one. Now he is doing very well. I hope you have lots of energy.

unknown-user
    Participant

It is true that the job market is grim for professional musicians.
    Advanced degrees in music are a requirement for work in academia – a
    resume won’t make it passed the first round without credentials in the
    specified field. These jobs are not as rare as orchestra, but more
    people apply then ever find a position.

It will be sad indeed if the music major becomes a thing of the past
    for many. I don’t think it is practical to learn music with the same
    level of accountability in performance, theory, history, etc. that a
    music major requires. The majority of freshman music majors do not
    understand the importance of learning theory, so it seems likely to me
    they wouldn’t without the academic structure requiring it. The
    inability to discern the layers of texture, harmonic and formal
    structure, and motivic analysis, does show up in performance. It is
    like reading without a clear understanding of punctuation and dramatic
    pacing. Some can be accomplished intuitively, but there are limits.

The problem
    is that all the money that is devoted
    to the arts in our society goes into popular music. That industry is
    just rolling in the dough, and it is really sad how many far more
    gifted musicians scrap each penny together to eek out a living. This
    subject makes me very sad because there are so many peers that I
    care for and admire deeply, who are amazingly gifted musicians who have
    either given it up entirely out of disappointment, or who struggle to
    make ends meet. Most of them are considerably more gifted than a
    typical uber-marketed “pop” star. I tend towards advising students to
    have something to
    fall back on. At least we don’t have it as bad as philosophy,
    musicology, literature, and other esoteric fields. The Bachelor of Arts
    degree in music is an excellent
    choice because it requires fewer hours and enables the student to
    double major. You miss out on a few classes, but it provides some of
    the structure. Combing music with psychology, ed psych., education, or
    other human development fields can provide flexibility in future career
    choices. We also need more high level music
    education majors to help arts education from the ground up and inspire
    a generation more willing to pay for an orchestra ticket than a pop
    princess concert ticket.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.