harpcolumn

looking at the strings

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists looking at the strings

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Maria Myers
    Participant

Thanks, Tony.

Sarah Mullen
    Participant

You definitely need to get to the point where you don’t watch your hands all the time.

tony-morosco
    Participant

I don’t think you need to start from scratch. Just proceed from here learning intervals and chord shapes.

You may need to adjust how you play from music you already know. Looking at the music and to the strings is just like any other aspect of playing. Just like deciding where to do a lever or pedal change, or where you can pass under or over while playing and where to lift off the strings and replace, you also decide when is the best time to look at the strings (the default should be looking at the music, and looking at the strings should, eventually, be the exception and not the rule).

You plan it. I sometimes even mark it in the music not just so I know when I should be looking at the strings, but also where. Sometimes when you look to the strings you really need to look at the right hand and sometimes the left. Knowing where you want to look before you actually look is more efficient.

But you don’t need to start over. This is part of the learning process for almost everyone. Most people have to learn to not look. The sooner the better, but most of us at one time or another realize we are looking at the strings too much and we just have to put in a little work to correct that.

Tacye
    Participant

On a related note where do people look when looking at neither the strings nor the music?

Maria Myers
    Participant

Thanks, Tony (and to all) for responding.

I’ll put your ideas into practice.

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Thank YOU Maria, for this most thought provoking thread. It has caused me to re-examine my own questions about my technique.

Maria Myers
    Participant

You’re welcome!

diana-lincoln
    Participant

Wow! So much great information here. Many thanks to Maria for this thread and to all the thoughtful answers given. I’m taking notes and will employ these ideas as I continue to study this wonderful instrument.

Diana L.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Interesting question Tacye. I never really thought about it before. I think I assumed I was always either looking at the music or the strings, but after checking I realize I sometimes look at the column. Not really paying attention to it, but when I am not deliberately looking at something my eyes seem to just rest straight ahead at the column.

kreig-kitts

In large ensemble, an attractive horn section helps during those moments when I don’t need to look at either strings or music. That or I watch the percussionists run around. As a last resort, I gaze up toward the discs, since that’s usually a flattering pose.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Kreig- I just read your post and thought of about 5 responses, all of which are unprintable! So I’ll just let this one go by.

When I play solo recitals-all classical repertoire- I always play from memory mainly because I find looking at the music distracting. I look only at the strings and my hands the whole time, and I somehow kind of ‘see’ the music I’m playing as I do. Also, focusing on the hands and strings helps me to tune out completely anything going on in the hall. Many times I’ve had someone come up to me after a program and apologize for some distraction in the hall. I was never once aware of it.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies