harpcolumn

loaning music

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp loaning music

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

What do other teachers do when a student or friend wants to borrow music? I have lost hundreds of dollars’ worth of harp music by loaning it and never getting it returned. I think, from now on, I will ask for a deposit for the replacement cost of the book, to be refunded when the book is returned.

unknown-user
    Participant

I think that holding something “hostage” is a great solution.

tony-morosco
    Participant

I never loan anything. If I am not willing to give it to that person then I tell them “sorry”. If I am willing to give it to them then I just give it to them and if they return it then they return it and if they don’t they don’t.

Often I get things back anyway, but I never count on it.

It is OK to say ‘No’.

Good old-fashioned library cards. Make them sign out the piece, and you hold the card telling you who borrowed it and when. Your collection is no doubt too valuable not to do it. Keep a stack of index cards by your studio door and use them for signing out everything. And put a due date on the card too, give one to the student and keep one. I wish Miss Lawrence had done that, she lost so much important music.

rosalind-beck
    Participant

Oh, Elizabeth! You are so right.

I LOVE the library cards idea! Thank you, all for the excellent feedback so far, and thank you, Saul, for that brilliant suggestion.

rod-anderson
    Participant

take their firstborn hostage ……….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies