harpcolumn

Levers and "alternate tunings"

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Levers and "alternate tunings"

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

BS”D

I recently read an article where someone referenced “flipping levers to pentatonic.” How does one do that?? Also, is there any way to use levers to get a maybe middle-eastern sound out of the harp? (My harp is fully-levered).

Thanks for any input!

Best thing for a middle-eastern sound is to play in Phrygian with a major third. If you’re tuned to Eb with all levers down, that means playing G-to-G with the B levers up.

ETA: Another name for this scale is “freygish,” and you’ll find a ton and a half of klezmer music played using it.

BTW, for pentatonic, assuming you’re turned to Eb with levers down, you should want the following levers up: C, D, F, G. The strings you’ll play are C, D/E, F, G/A, B. I theeeenk this should give you a pentatonic scale, where the D/E strings and the G/A strings are tuned the same, but I’m at work and thinking about other things, so someone may want to sanity-check me on this.

Angela Biggs

Tuned in Eb, I flip up D and G, thus getting rid of the seventh and third of the scale. This leaves me with Bb, C, D#/Eb, F, G#/Ab: whole step, 1 1/2 step, whole, whole, aka a pentatonic scale. When improvising, I usually feel the F as the “tonal center” of this tuning, though since there’s no leading tone, there isn’t really a tonal center…

Janis, yours produces the black-key piano version of the pentatonic scale, C# D# F# G# A#. Thanks for an alternate configuration — I look forward to finding out which note I head back to improvising in it. 🙂

Rachael Rosenbaum
    Participant

BS”D

Thanks so much, Janis and Angela. I admit I am guilty of being tuned in plain old C major. But I suppose I can figure out how to manage that from what you guys have told me. Thanks again, it’s certainly helpful info!

In C Major, play E-to-E with the G lever up for freygish.

Angela, to judge from the music I’ve heard, probably you’ll head for the Eb. Every time I play anything like that, I always somehow end up with Peter Gabriel’s “Sledgehammer” as an earworm for the next few days. 🙂

Biagio
    Participant

To play fully in pentatonic without skipping strings, just change all the half steps to whole steps. This is easier if you are not tuned to a flat key but rather a sharp one. Id est: if tuned open to C just flip the Bs and Es, in G flip the Fs too and so on. This is really fun for yuck-free improvising, you can’t hit a wrong note. Kids and invalids love it too.

Biagio
    Participant

Incidentally if you’re playing solo tuned to C , flip up ALL your levers, then flip down those for a flat key. For example, B A and E down, C D F G up: voila, you’re in Eb – granted a half step up from A 440Hz but big deal if you’re not in ensemble. Which is why I tune to C or G and play alone….Said the lazy man:-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies