harpcolumn

Lever problem with beginner harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Lever problem with beginner harp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Yaron Lirase
    Participant

Hi,

I am a beginner and own a harp which is similar to the one below:
    Heather Harp 22 strings

While trying to open one of the levers, the wood cracked and now I am stuck with a string which has a bad sound (as there is no tension from the lever, but it is still touching it and the lever is loose).

I wanted to know if I can move the lever slightly higher (drilling two holes in the wood and moving it up).
    As the wood is cracked and unstable at the current point.
    If this is a problem, does anyone have suggestions on how to fix the wood (it is quite damaged and I imagine will need some filling to make it steady).

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thank you,

Yaron

Tacye
    Participant

If your harp is quite new try to return it for a refund – harps should not crack.

If you move the lever up it will not sharpen the string enough- it will sound out of tune when engaged.

Yaron Lirase
    Participant

Thank you.

The harp is 36 strings. and

Tacye
    Participant

Are you sure you can’t return it?

Yaron Lirase
    Participant

It’s only about 6 months old. however it was purchased in Germany and I don’t think it came with any sort of insurance.

The crack is not a deep one. It occurred due to the lever being stuck and pulling too hard trying to open it. so it is more of a surface crack (and not a big one).

You mentioned in a previous post the use of some glue. You wouldn’t happen to have any info on what glue could be used or what process can be taken to fix a surface crack?

Thank you again for the help.

If all fails I will remove the lever. as I am unable to afford to take the harp to get fixed.

Dwyn .
    Participant

Try gluing it with a really good epoxy.

Yaron Lirase
    Participant

Thank you for the information.

I work with epoxy resin for other purposes. It is Thx 500 (poly pox)

It is complete liquid and takes about 24-36 hours to completely dry.

Should I use instead an epoxy paste ?

I am planning on clamping it using a clamper and two pieces of wood which will be coated by wax, to avoid them sticking.

Details on the resin I am using is below (translated with google):

“Standard epoxy resin and bonding for the preservation of wood, impregnation of the glass and carbon fibers, making shrink castings combined with fillers. To be applied in building, repairing, restoration of wooden and polyester boats, canoes, tanks. Waterproof finish for floors, containers, shower and toilet facilities.

Due to the resin Aerosil, Cotton Fiber Glass Bubbles or add one can own a coating, adhesive putty or paste composition.

For use mix with Poly-Pox Harder.

In combination with the standard Harder 355.

Mixing ratio resin / hardener was 100: 50 parts by weight.

Processing time approximately 25 minutes.

Minimum application temperature 15 Âş C.”

Thank you again for the help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies