harpcolumn

Is There a String Doctor in the House?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Is There a String Doctor in the House?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rod-c
    Participant

Hello:

I know there have been plenty of posts here about changing strings, but

bernhard-schmidt
    Participant

Rod,

the gut string did break..and you have a substitute c nylon (also 2nd oktave)
    In this case you cant make very much wrong. The nylon string sounding different than gut but after a day it becomes more clear.
    If you dont have used a 2nd octave c nylon…but a other one with different diameters…than there might be a problem.

Hope it helpes

Regards

rod-c
    Participant

Thank you, Barnard.

Fairy Reel
    Participant

Hey Rod, been there done that.

When I got my first harp, it came with a complete set of nylon replacements–and no labels. So we got to play the guessing game. We also didn’t know how to change the string. Hello, internet.

Unfortunately, changing a string is like riding a horse: if you have no experience, then someone’s going to get hurt.

I suggest either a) asking your teacher to show you how to tie and change a string or b) ask a sympathetic harpist in your area. It’s easiest if seen done.

Also, when I first changed my first string, since I didn’t know how to do it, we did it

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Rod, did you put a string anchor in before putting the string on the harp?

unknown-user
    Participant

Or, if the knot is not resting against the harp, if there is some complication in the knotting, that could perhaps interfere; or it could be a defective string, or not a good one. Being crisp and clear are just the advantages of nylon over gut, if you want that. It may also be the way you are playing it, nylon requiring a different touch than gut. Try playing that string more easily, less pressure and see if that helps any.

rod-c
    Participant

Hi..

Thank you for all the expert advice! I really appreciate it. I got the nylon string on and got it tuned.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies