harpcolumn

is it just stupid

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists is it just stupid

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hello, I am thinking of beginning the harp at the age of 16. I am
    very musical and have always wanted to play the harp. is it just
    stupid to take up another instrument with me going to university in 2
    years. di you think a person of good musical skills would be able to
    learn the harp to a reasonably good standard within 2 years. your
    advice would be greatly appreciated. Frank

unknown-user
    Participant

Frank;

Frank:

No! It is not just stupid! A lot of harpists start on the later side, probably because harp is not offered in most school music programs. I was 16 when I started and have gone on to have a career as a professional harpist. Many of my colleagues also started as older teens or in college. Go for it!

KIM

unknown-user
    Participant

I started playing harp about 3 1/2 years ago, and I’m considering majoring in harp performance in a year when I go to college. It’s not stupid for you to consider starting now. I’ve been able to learn a lot in 3 years (I had played piano for years before that). I think if you’re willing to work at it, you should be fine. I think it’s awesome that you’re interested in playing!

unknown-user
    Participant

Frank!

unknown-user
    Participant

Hi Frank! It is definately not stupid to start the harp at a later age. I am 17 and I didn’t start playing the harp until age 15. I played some piano off and on for a number of years, but I never got beyond beginner pieces. My mom started me on the harp and I had no intrest in playing it, but after a few months I fell in love with the harp. I have only been playing 2 and half years, but I feel I am doing considerably hard repertoire, and I plan to major in harp in college. I wish I had started harp at an early age, but I’m very glad I play at all. Start as soon as possoble. I’m sure in two years you’ll be plaing wonderfuly! Best of luck!

Nadia Tjahja
    Participant

Hi i’m Nadia and i’m 14 years old, it’s not stupid it’s better i think! i began when i was 5 and didn’t know the meaning of dicipline! I used to run away for my harp because i hated 2 play longer than an halfhour. If you want 2 play the harp and you’re musical! DON’T RUN AWAY! and when you’ll go 2 ur college it will the better for you!

I started the harp at 17, and got jobs almost immediately. I have had a job with
    a professional symphony orchestra for 21 years now and they haven’t fired
    me yet! Sure, it’s a struggle at first, but practise intelligently and efficiently and
    you’ll get there. Word of warning: don’t be tempted to practise for hours
    without stopping. Take lots of breaks or you WILL get tendinitis.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies