harpcolumn

i fractured my wrist and i am looking for feedback

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists i fractured my wrist and i am looking for feedback

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Ahlgrim
    Participant

hi everyone..the unthinkable has happened.

Sylvia Clark

Yes, here it is.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I broke my right wrist in what’s called a spoon fracture. it was awful. Both bones-the Ulna and the Radius- broke near the wrist joint and my right hand and the stubs of broken bone sank down and slid under the broken bones that led up to my elbow. I didn’t need surgery. The wrist was set and my arm put in a cast for 5 weeks. When the cast came off, my lower arm looked like it had been harvested from a cadaver. The muscle was all wasted away. As far as range of motion was concerned, the worst problem was the inability to rotate my hand and wrist. Physical therapy took care of that.

You need to wait until you have completely healed from this to schedule any gigs. Don’t assume that once the cast comes off everything will immediately be back to normal.

Elizabeth Ahlgrim
    Participant

ugh..that is what i was afraid of… was really hoping to be playing again by 11/11.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

It will continue to heal for a long, long time after the cast has come off; physical therapy will definitely help. Make sure the doctor knows you are a musician. When I broke my right hand a few years ago, I actually really enjoyed doing some practicing with my left hand only. It was amazing the musical discoveries I made that I wouldn’t have if I had been using both hands! Best wishes to you for a full and complete recovery.

unknown-user
    Participant

Oh I’m so sorry!

I’ve never broken a bone in my body, so I don’t have any experience with this. But I did want to say that I’m truly sorry, I know what it’s like to have to take a break from jobs/practicing the harp and it’s really awful. Just make sure you give your wrist time to heal, it’ll be tough now but in the long run your wrist and harp will thank you! I hope you feel better soon, God bless!

— Natalie

Alison
    Participant

Carl’s absolutely right, don’t expect anything to happen for say 2 months after you get the pot off.

barbara-kraichy–2
    Participant

I broke my wrist when I slipped on ice. It hurt, but I had a gig to play. I played, not knowing my wrist was broken and during my gig my thumb suddenly collapsed and I could’t raise it. (Right hand)

kent-vogel
    Participant

Mr. Swanson if I may ask,..What type of a fall was this? I broke one of my wrist floating bones called the vicular (sp?) and played nine football games with a broken wrist. The human body , could it be said,

carl-swanson
    Participant

Slip and fall. As I was falling backwards, I put my right hand out in back of me to break the fall. I heard both bones break at the moment of impact.

Alison
    Participant

Are you back in one piece and playing now ?

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I karate-chopped my left metacarpal (hand bone below the little finger) on March 31, 2011

hitomi-momose
    Participant

I hope you are on your way to recovery by now. I broke my wrist 3 years ago, underwent surgery. A plate and 7 small screws are there. It healed with no dysfunction in daily activity. I can do girl sit-ups. Only limitation is “la table” playing. best wishes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies