harpcolumn

I AM the string section . . .

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Performing I AM the string section . . .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kay-lister

I have recently been invited to join the “_____ _____ Community Band”. This is a mix of people of all ages from high school and up who just want to continue to make music in a group setting. I have found that I am if fact the only string instrument in this group of about 50 or so people. Obviously, there won’t always be a need for a harp, but the director is very excited to have me and is already saying that anything flute or bell related that I should be able to play it on the harp. I am doing the actual “Harp part” for I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls” for St. Pattys Day and I have been give a couple other parts that are meant for a Hammered Dulcimer – hmmmmmm. Being new to this whole GROUP playing experience, what instrument parts should I avoid and give a big NO to as far as tring to play it on the harp?

Kay

Sylvia
    Participant

I play in a band…only when there is a real part. They give me scores to the other pieces so I can follow and add in stuff…I put in chords, arps, or glisses…whatever. If there is not at least one real part, I don’t go. As to your question, instruments that are one-liners (one note at a time) are a waste of time (like flute). They already have plenty of winds. Bells are probably covered by percussion. You might get keyboard parts. I just improvise off the chords. I’ve never gotten dulcimer parts….I don’t know what they are like. I learned in orchestration class we are not a string instrument…we are pitched percussion…like piano, guitar, etc…but many people do refer to us as strings because we have so many. Band is great fun, I think.

janna-bisceglia
    Participant

I second asking for a piano part instead of a flute part – you’ll never be heard and the flutes already have it covered! I also like to improvise off the chord symbols.

The harp is actually similar to the hammered dulcimer in a lot of ways, and the hammered dulcimer parts I’ve played on the harp work fairly well. Usually it is written on one line, so I go through and divide it up between two hands.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

Kay,

This sounds like a great opportunity to stretch your musical abilities. What fun to be able to make up your own part and see what works and what does not. Just be opened minded and enjoy this new adventure. If nothing else, maybe you will develop some new music friends to play duets.

I had not done any ensemble work in 30 years and I got roped into play the Christmas and Easter cantatas at our local church in the past couple years. Once I jumped in, I enjoyed it and got better each time. It sure improved my ability to count to 4 steadily.

m-l-mcneel
    Participant

Kay,

Several of Sousa’s marches have harp parts, because Sousa had a harpist in his band. They’re not very harpy, primarily boom-chuck, but I think it’s fun to play a Sousa march on a harp. The music arranged by Loras Schissel has the harp parts.

There are several pieces for concert band that have harp parts. I’ve also gone to the Petrucci music library and downloaded orchestral harp parts. Sometimes I can use them as is, sometimes I have to transpose.

There’s Nocturne for Harp and Band, by Clare Grundman, which features the harp. There is a Fantasia for Harp and Concert Band, by James Bingham.

Kim or Hugh, I know there’s a way to link these pieces, but I don’t know the specifics. Help, please.

I play flute and sometimes harp in the ______ Concert Band, within an hour of where you live. You have met me. We’ve talked at an Alice Giles masterclass, and at Beginning in the Middle.

kay-lister

YES MIMI – I REMEMBER YOU!! How ARE you? Wish we could get together sometime and just jam! If I recall correctly, your husband is Santa right? 😉

Kay

kreig-kitts

Flute can give some inspiration for a few spots where the harp would enhance a (usually lyrical) passage, but much of it won’t work, and community bands generally have a massive surplus of upper woodwinds anyway. If the goal for that piece is mostly to give yourself something to do, a string bass, tuba, or trombone part might be another way to go. You’ll have a good idea of where you can add a chord, and doubling the bass line of the piece usually won’t hurt since it’s hard to have too much of the lower voices. For something more substantial, borrowing a score for a couple days or downloading one from ISMLP if it’s public domain would give the best overview, but if maybe borrowing parts from a few voices, say flute, trumpet, and tuba, would give enough of an idea, along with listening to a recording.

I originally played flute in my community band, but when taking up Poet and Peasant Overture, they heard I played harp so I played it on that piece. Pines of Rome went into the next concert and we’ve played a couple more with harp parts that were fairly substantial. Now I’m thinking of making a full switch to harp in band, and also adding a couple filler parts to keep me busy during the other pieces. Some other harpists who play in community band for enjoyment do so. And a concerning bell parts: We have several good percussionists who have to spread their parts thinly, and I’ve been threatened with serious bodily harm if I ever try to play a mallet part. You have been warned!

PS- Sousa’s Nobles of the Mystic Shrine has a pretty cute little harp part that’s reasonably exposed to boot.

m-l-mcneel
    Participant

Kay,

Yes, Santa.

Are you ever available on Monday mornings? We have a group that meets once a month. You’d fit right in.

Will you be going to BitM? Santa and I plan to be there.

kay-lister

Mimi,

I would LOVE to participate with your group on Monday mornings! Unfortunately I work (and probably wil be working until the day I die). I have often told my husband that I would LOVE to be a “Kept woman”. and his response is that I’d better find someone else to keep me then – so, work I must . . . sigh.

Anyway, I was back and forth on going to BITM this year, and just decided recently that I’m NOT going this time. I need to get 3 harp regulated and that is taking place next week when Mike Lewis is coming to the area. So, the BITM funds are going to harp regulation this year. I will miss it for sure! You and Santa have a GREAT time and fill me on all the fun you had afterwards please.

I’m SURE our paths will cross again in this wonderful world of harps!

Kay 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies