harpcolumn

How to Improve Technique?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play How to Improve Technique?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    seika-dong
    Participant

sherry-lenox
    Participant

I’ve done Lariviere with Pozzoli and Lariviere with Bochsa and now, Lariviere with Naderman. To me, Lariviere is a great team player- everything else works better with Lariviere first.

phill-w
    Participant

There is some good advice here. I particularly agree with people saying that studies can only take you so far.

In terms of improving stamina, at risk of sounding obvious, building up playing time helps, but it can enforce bad habits unless your technical basis is sound. I particularly like what Seika said about thinking the right sound when playing, even before playing really, and playing slow is essential!!! For building up stamina and even-ness, I also found that playing passages (especially repetitive runs) in dotted rhythms very helpful.

Good luck!!

katie-buckley
    Participant

Etudes are great, but I’m a big believer in using your current repertoire and turning sections in to etudes. Most pieces have sections that are difficult for us and if you create a series of exercises, with the help of your teacher, around those sections, you will both be learning the piece AND working on an etude. Its great to have etudes, but, learning to come up with your own exercises can keep you going for years! Just think, a new etude within every new piece you learn. (I agree with all of the above, by the way. This all needs to be teacher guided, for sure!)

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies