harpcolumn

How long…?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp How long…?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Hi, I have recently began playing the harp. I have played the

clarinet for 7 years, the flute for 5 years, and the piano for 4

years, but the harp is my favorite instrument and I want to start to

play professionally, so my questions are how long do you estimate it

will take me, and my most pressing question is when do you know your

ready, because I want to play with the symphony and play at

weddings.

unknown-user
    Participant

becoming an orchestral harpist does not happen over night. I guess it depends most on your age. the ages when people [usually] absorb the most information is from ages 9-17 (or at least I think so). That does not mean you CANT play the harp if you are an adult.

first of all, find a harp and harp teacher. Like many instruments, buying the harp is an ENORMOUS investment. You may want to start on a celtic harp, which price range is usually from $1000-$5000 (for a good one) as for the big, impressive orchestral harps (we harpists call them pedal harps) they usually go for between $15000-$60000 depending on the model and manufacturer. On average, Id say you could get ur studies up to a profressional level within 7 years or so. (it depends on how much you want it- and yhow much you practice)

well, i guess it would be better if someone else gave you some information, as i am a wedding/orchestal harpist, but not nearly at the level of a professional.

the harp can be rewarding, fun, and often stressful- good luck!

Laurie Muirhead
    Participant

Mareika,

“How long” is a hard determination in giving you a specific answer. Time is different for each person.

I played the flute, percussion and piano for several years before I switched to

the harp at age 17. I played the harp in orchestra after one week. Granted, I

just covered the top line, but, with all my previous experience, I knew how to

count bars, stay in rhythm and stay in tune, so basically I didn’t cause a train

wreck. As soon as you can get through a part without too much trouble, get in

there! I was a regular harpist in community orchestras after one year, a soloist

after three years, and a professional orchestra harpist after five years. You

can do it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies