harpcolumn

how is celtic technique different from the regular technique?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists how is celtic technique different from the regular technique?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sari-bari
    Participant

how is celtic technique different from the regular technique?
    And are there special techniques I would need to learn to get a true celtic sound on the harp? I’m thinking specifically about fast, dance-type music.

Thanks!

andee-craig
    Participant

I don’t know if that is something that can be answered in a single reply. I took Irish harp lessons weekly for 10 years and still have much to learn about getting the dance music right!

I’d say listen to as much Irish music as possible, not just on the harp (Grainne Hambly is my favorite) but other instruments as well to get a feel for the dance rhythms of jigs, reels, hornpipes, etc.

One thing I do know for sure is to keep the left hand simple–the melody is the most important thing. Also as a general rule 5th and octaves are more authentic sounding so leave out 3rds.

Then of course there is the ornamentation–triplets, cuts, etc. Again, listening will help with those, but is there a teacher in your area? Or maybe you can find a tutorial on youtube?

sari-bari
    Participant

Thanks for the answer!

Do you know any teachers who teach celtic technique who do skype lessons?

Tacye
    Participant

Lighter strung harps are easier to play really fast and are more likely to have the sound you probably associate with celtic music.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies