harpcolumn

How do you teach theory to harp students?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp How do you teach theory to harp students?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kela Walton
    Participant

I am working on a paper for my harp pedagogy class, and I wonder if

you could help me with some research.

unknown-user
    Participant

I believe that theory is critical for harpists.

donna-benier

Kela, learning theory, how to pluck strings, how to read notes, how to read and play dynamics is all integrated into every lesson for me with my students. Many of my harp students have previously learned another instrument, so they come to me already reading music. However, with the ones who are truly beginners to music, I start out teaching them to read notes, a few at a time. I use flashcards (that I desktop publish and have laminated myself) for the notes, as well as the harp strings. Part of the homework and part of the lesson is to work through the flashcards. I add more and more flashcards until they have learned all the notes on the staff. Each week as they are learning more notes, I incorporate songs that include those notes.

Laurie Muirhead
    Participant

In looking at a new piece of music, I use the following to incorporate theory to my students:

Begin by checking what the key signature is.

Kela Walton
    Participant

Thank you so much to those of you who have already contributed an answer.

unknown-user
    Participant

Check out the new publication by Sylvia Woods-Teaching Theory-I just took a class from her.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies