harpcolumn

how do I examine a used harp for sale ?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories how do I examine a used harp for sale ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mike-c
    Participant

In a week or 2 I may take a trip to see a used l&h style 17, gilded, made in circa 1940’s. The sellers are selling it on behalf of a family member who is either elderly or deceased, so I will not be able to speak to the original owner. This person was supposedly a professional harpist, so I’m assuming it was played quite a bit.

I saw some pictures, and I inquired if the neck or soundboard had ever been replaced. I was under the impression that needed to be done about every 20 years. They said no, but I’m thinking that must not be possible. The pics I’ve seen so far seem like the strings are relatively new (i.e. colors aren’t faded ), I don’t yet know when the last time it had been played, but I will ask.

So my question is, what should I look at when I see it in person ? How do I assess the condition of the soundboard, how do I tell if it really is the original, or at least whether it needs to be replaced or not ?

I know the best thing is to have a technician examine it, but this is a rural area and I’m not sure if I can get someone to come all the way out, so I was hoping someone can tell me the basics of how to gauge a harp’s relative health.

Thanks

richard-hagan
    Participant

Hi Mike —

There is an article on this subject on the Harp Spectrum website http://www.harpspectrum.org.

kreig-kitts

Carl Swanson’s book also has a guide on what to look for.

My harp is nearly 40 years old with oridinal neck and soundboard, so they can last a long time. It hadn’t been moved and had barely been played most of that time, which probably helped considerably.

stan-guy
    Participant

Mike —my style 19 was built in 1922 and still has the original sound board and neck in really good shape.

mike-c
    Participant

Kreig and Stan,

Thank you for sharing. I apparently misunderstood the lifetime of soundboards! This has definitely changed my opinion of this harp. I will make it out to view it in a couple weeks.

Richard, thank you very much for the very resourceful link.

I know this is a bit like trying to be your own doctor, so for anyone in the future who reads this and is in a similar situation, let me disclose that I’m aware I’m taking a risk that – in the worst-case scenario – could spell a financial disaster. So do not do what I’m doing unless you are comfortable with the potential consequences of inexperience.

( I am going to look anyway to see if I can find a harp tech nearby…)

Tacye
    Participant

One useful tip from my first harp teacher- play every string in flat, natural and sharp.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

Carl Swanson’s book has a clear and comprehensive section on assessing a used harp for purchase. Short of having a technician look at it, this would be a good guide.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies