harpcolumn

history of lever harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break history of lever harp?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sylvia
    Participant

I tried to find this

Tacye
    Participant

They sort of came both before and after pedal harps – there were of course many sorts of harp before pedals were invented, including hook harps, which had hand operated sharpening mechanism on the neck and developed into pedal harps.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I’ll call Sam Milligan and see if he can put a post up about this. But I think if you are referring to the advent of lever harps in the 20th century(as I think you are) I think the earliest version was on Clark Irish harps, which were made in Syracuse New York in the 1920’s. Where Clark got the idea I don’t know.

The earliest modern lever harp was produced by Lyon & Healy starting in the 1950’s when Sam Pratt was head of the harp division. He was also responsible for the style 30, or Princess Louise, which originally had a square back on it. Anyway, Sam Pratt named the Lyon & Healy lever harp the Troubadour, and then, since there was absolutely no music available specifically for it, asked Sam Milligan to produce a book of tunes for it. That book was Fun From the First.

Tacye
    Participant

Hmm, the view from Europe is rather different.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Tacye- I don’t understand your post. Could you explain it? Are you saying that all the harps you mentioned function the same way, and without levers?

Tacye
    Participant

It depends on exactly how you define a ‘lever’.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Yes of course I’d consider that a lever harp. I suspect that there may have been a lot of such lever harps made in the 19th Century, but that they took a back seat to the pedal harp as it became more available. There may have even been a gap when no lever harps were being built before they started up again in the 20th century.

Tacye
    Participant

I don’t think there was a gap – Morley stopped building pedal harps during WW1 to concentrate on small harps and repairs and I have found references to similar small harps at the very end of the 19th C.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies