harpcolumn

Help with ID on a Lyon and Healy

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Help with ID on a Lyon and Healy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Pete Johansen
    Participant

Was wondering if anyone can point me towards a good resource for identifying an older Lyon and Healy pedal harp. I cant seem to find any markings that say what series it is, and am coming up short on google searches.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

got a photo and a serial number? The serial number will be on the action plate on an older harp.

carl-swanson
    Participant

In addition, if you take the little wood action block out(that’s the block between the two action plates at the column), it will have written on the back of it what model it is.

Pete Johansen
    Participant

It has a serial number of 550. Which seems pretty low from what I’ve seen. I’ll remove that block in a little bit to find out which model it is. Thanks. Excited to find out more! I’ll snap a few pictures too.

Pete Johansen
    Participant

Removed the wood block and the only thing written on it was #550 with two lines underneath. I don’t know if saying that it has 45 strings and 7 levers helps at all.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I think that #550 is a very early instrument. My understanding is that when Lyon & Healy started building harps in 1889, they started with serial number 500. If that’s true, then your harp was probably built within a year or two at most of that startup date. So they probably didn’t have different model numbers at that time.

Pete Johansen
    Participant

So would that make it roughly equivalent to a more modern Semi Grand, or are these early harps considered more of an antique than a functional instrument.

I’m pretty familiar with guitars, and know that they changed so many things about how they were made in the 30’s and 40’s that many instruments earlier than that are considered more of an antique than a players instrument.

I’m relatively close to Chicago, does Lyon and Healy offer restoration and regulation services, or are independent shops the way to go?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, but I think there are two sets of harps with 500 serial numbers, aren’t there, Carl? Didn’t they start over again at 500 after one of the early fires, so that there are harps from the early 1900s and also harps from the teens with those same numbers?

barbara-brundage
    Participant

I don’t know why my edits didn’t show. I meant to say ‘from the 1890s and also from the teens.’

Anyway, if you have the first harp with the 550 serial number, that’s a style 21 which was sold to Miss Clara Thurston of Chicago, according to the L&H 1899 harp catalog. (It used to be available as a reprint; not sure if it still is.) There’s a swell photo of Miss Thurston and her harp and a testimonial from her on page 84.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Oh, and also, just FYI, those seven things at the bottom are pedals, not levers. You have a pedal harp. Pedals you work with your feet so they’re down at the base of the harp. Levers you flip with your hands and they’re on strings at the top of the harp.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, L&H offers restoration services. So does Carl.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

Yes, you can still get the catalog reprint:

http://us.harp.com/info/products/pact_show/id_19395895/

Pete Johansen
    Participant

I realized that shortly after I posted that I had incorrectly called them levers. Can you tell I’m a greenhorn?

Pete Johansen
    Participant

What is the name of Carl’s shop?

barbara-brundage
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies