harpcolumn

Having a HeatWave

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Having a HeatWave

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I lost a string yesterday. How many have you lost?

It was hard practicing today, even with the a/c on.

deb-l
    Participant

I lost a bass wire while tuning my FH36 when the heat wave started, wow was that loud while I was standing right over it.

rod-c
    Participant

Thanks to AC, I’ve not had any strings break. But my area has 7 days ahead of nearly 100 degrees (Nebraska).

kreig-kitts

My tuning has been a total mess, but fortunately I haven’t lost any strings recently.

emma-graham
    Participant

And in the UK we have floods, cold and endless rain!!! (It’s the height of summer here. Apparently!)

Susan Abken
    Participant

A few thoughts:

It’s in the Nineties (Fahrenheit) here, and earlier this month the temperature was in the 100’s multiple days. Some harvests in North Carolina have happened earlier than usual!

I read in the press earlier today that a large portion of the USA’s wheat crop is failing, in the Midwest.

There were strange, atypical harvests in the 19th century in Northern and Central Europe for several years after the Icelandic volcano exploded that time, and it looks like we are having a repeat performance of strange weather patterns again, and then there’s global warming. A friend in N. Germany near the Dutch border reported several weeks of non-stop chilly rain in May/June, not the usual weather pattern for his area at that time of year, and their garden was not doing well.

Greenland was under cultivation in the late Middle Ages. We’ve had shifts in the weather before.

What to do: help the poor; give to Oxfam, Lutheran World Relief, local food banks and similar organizations; join Bread for the World in the USA; support local farmers and put up food for this winter, encourage church potluck suppers. Prioritize. Drive less. Increase the size of one’s own garden, where possible, or plant one. Consider a benefit concert for the local food bank, since the working poor will be hit hardest by an increase in the prices of food staples, and keep on practicing! A small fan on the harpist is nice.

We are blessed to be able to practice, perform on, and give with this instrument, despite the weather. Morning practice might work better than practicing in the middle of the day. Autumn will arrive. Stay well hydrated.

Blessings,

Susan Abken

deb-l
    Participant

just lost another string on the Dusty.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies