harpcolumn

Has anybody played a Thurau concert harp?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Has anybody played a Thurau concert harp?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    eliza-morrison
    Participant

They look gorgeous and are very unique—but I don’t know what they sound like. Thoughts?

katerina
    Participant

I played his Javelot, some other models and I also own 2 Thurau baroque triples.

Javelot is fantastic. It is super convenient to the body, with amazing sound, loud, very flying, but same time very clear and delicate. Great basses. Mechanics work silently, easily and perfect. Highest quality in everything.

Rainer Thurau is a great artist. He takes enormous care about every tiny detail. His instruments are brilliant and, probably, the best harps the money can buy.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Katerina,

You are so fortunate to have played the Javelot!

katerina
    Participant

Javelot worth its cost, and much more…

We are thinking now to accommodate the third Thurau harp. :-) Once touching the real Quality, you are forever spoiled for other things, less perfect.

eliza-morrison
    Participant

I am envious too! The Javelot is the most visually appealing (to me) of all the Thurau harps. I would love to own one but alas, they are out of my price range. Would love to have a chance to try one sometime.

katerina
    Participant

That’s pity. I don’t play pedal harp, but it took me some years before I could afford a triple of his made, and I didn’t regret even a second.

I’m not sure if Rainer goes to exhibitions, he is well overhead with clients anyway. There was one Javelot in his workshop in Wiesbaden, specially made for exhibitions, but he might have sold it.

michael-rockowitz
    Participant

Thurau’s website has links to harpists playing his harps on youtube.

William Y
    Participant

Video of Volker Kempf playing the Debussy dances on Thurau’s “Art Nouveau” concert harp (with Wiener Symphoniker)

Looks / sounds beautiful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies