harpcolumn

Harpo’s technique

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Harpo’s technique

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    bob-miller
    Participant

David,
    do you know if any of Gail Laughton’s arrangements are available?
    Also, how does one get a copy of the Tea for Two recordings?
    Are there any recordings of Gail Laughton?
    And you are right in regard to Night at the Opera, he is way off.
    Thanks and sorry for so many ?’s,
    Bob

David Ice
    Participant

I have

Well that explains how Harpo’s strings could be so loose, they weren’t even tuned up. That is also how musical numbers were filmed, the singing was prerecorded, and the stars would lip-synch to the vocals, whoever was doing the singing.

David Ice
    Participant

For an extreme example of harp “lip syncing” check out Cary Grant in THE BISHOP’S WIFE.

Evangeline Williams
    Participant

David,

From what I remember reading/seeing, Rex Harrison said he had to do all his tracks ‘live’ for My Fair Lady, as his performance was slightly different every time and there was no way it would sync up.

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Evangeline,

Yes, you are right.

john bruner
    Participant

I am so grateful for this forum. I have been working on my family genealogy and this is helping to resolve so many things. Gail Laughton was my grandfather Robert’s brother. My mother (Jen) still plays her Laughton Harp. I had been told my entire life that Gail had played for Harpo and being a big Marx Bros. fan I always looked for any verification. I had come to believe it was just family legend -(One story was that Gail reached his arms through the overcoat, but I have discovered that this was for Cary Grant in “The Bishop’s Wife” not for Harpo. Gail also played violin and I recently discovered that the whole Laughton family played for Henry Ford at a gala at his home. Charles Sr. had 12 Ford car’s horns tuned so that they could participate in the musical performance.

John Bruner

sherry-lenox
    Participant

Fabulous contribution John! Thank you!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies