harpcolumn

Harpmobile-Volvos!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Harpmobile-Volvos!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sonya Wiley

Hi list;
    I am looking at Volvos, the V70 wagon and the 90 SUV; i have used my brothers’ V70 to transport harps before but i’m having a hard time finding one close by to purchase. The 90s are more plentiful and i wondered if any of you drive one and use for your harp; it’s higher in the back and I wonder if that is objectionable when loading. any thoughts ? thanks! sonya

emma-graham
    Participant

I have the XC70 which is the size of the V70 but much higher. It is normally 4WD but I have the Eco friendly non 4WD version! As I always load by myself I find it much easier with a high and wide rear opening. The way the seats fold is fantastic and the space for harp plus extras is brilliant. It’s easily the best car I have ever had. I love it.

Louis Venus

Hello Sonia

Volvo’s are fantastic, Ive had the XC70 and the 90, while transporting my Daughters full size harp, both great haprmobiles with 60/40 rear seat split, great if you need to carry an extra passenger.
    At the moment we have the Ford Galaxy, not my car of choice at all but certainly more room than ether of the above and with the seat split, it will carry four people, dog, stand, stool, luggage, music case etc etc I tried column loading with all this and it worked well.
    Galaxy is lower loading than the 90 but loading was no problem with the 90, either of the three are great harp cars.
    Good luck whatever you choose.

Sonya Wiley

Thanks so much for your comments!

kreig-kitts

Volvo now makes the XC70 instead of the V70. As Emma noted it’s pretty much the same car, but with some changes to handle a bit better on rough roads or snow (XC = “cross country”).

emma-graham
    Participant

Here in the UK, the V70 is still available. The V range are different models from the XC range – which essentially are all 4WD versions. If the V70 is no longer available where you are then it might be worth checking on availability and cost of spares etc if you are looking at second hand. Volvos are very reliable but when repairs are needed they aren’t cheap!

kreig-kitts

Good point. In the US, the larger vehicles are popular among the outdoors lovers who pack equipment for camping and biking. The V70s went out a few years ago and hopefully a lot of the CX70 parts work for them. The newer Outback (I think this body came about in 2011) got great reviews in the latest Harp Column magazine car reviews and it would have an easier repair situation. The Prius V is similarly roomy and the hybrids have excellent reliability and repair costs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies