harpcolumn

Harp for a 9 year old.

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Harp for a 9 year old.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Well, it depends on where you live and what yor budget is. If youre confident that your child would be really passionate about the harp and not quit, i would recommened renting a troubadour V. It is a superb harp for both students and performers. http://www.lyonhealy.com/products/lyonhealy/lever/troubadour.html copy and paste that into the URL box and click eneter to see the troubadour harp ;-)

the only probelem is, its a little pricey, $3,750. When I bought my Troubador about 3 years ago it was $3,450. but, they’re definetely worth it!

however, if you have doubts as to whether she’ll stick with it, i would suggest buying a pakastani harp. They are extremely affordable, but their quality is very low. i learned on a 22 string Heather harp, which costed about $200 at the time. Now i think they run for about $350. you can see them at http://www.harpanddragon.com . with this cheap harp, your daughter can figure out whether she wants to stick with it. i learned on that harp for about a year until i moved up to a troubadour, and in April of 2003, i moved up to a Salvi CG pedla harp. *yay* ;-)

so………………………..

it would be a wise choice to try out a pakastani harp. I KNOW everybody is going ot say “avoid them avoid them”, and if youre a performing proffesional, you defienetly should. howevre, i think one of those harps would be very appropraite for a begginning harpist.

i applaud your daughter’s intrest! (as well as yours!) good luck with whatever harp you choose! :-D

Joyce White
    Participant

I’d try to find a teacher first, and then follow his or her advice.

unknown-user
    Participant

My 9 year old daughter wants to learn how to play the harp.

Alicia D. Strange
    Participant

Nothing new in my response… just some elaboration if I may…

So if you rent, you might find $40, 50, etc./Month Rental Deals.

unknown-user
    Participant

I don’t know if you get these harps in the U.S., but here in Germany and
    Austria one gets so called “Volksharps” which are about the size of a Salvi
    Daphne 46, but you can only put the pedals down once, instead of twice. I
    started off with one of these harps, and it served me well until this summer,
    when I traded it (plus costs) for a Salvi Aurora.

Denise Krasicki
    Participant

Do you have a harp teacher yet ?

unknown-user
    Participant

Our daughter had been talking about learning the harp from when she was 8. When she turned 10, she began lessons (her teacher does not teach children under 10)and needed a harp. We, too, were in a quandary as to what to do, particularly since we weren’t sure she’d stay with it.

You might try our solution if you (or someone close to you) is handy with woodworking…build a harp from a kit! We ordered the Studio Harp from Musicmaker’s Kits(www.musikit.com) and I assembled and finished it in two weekends. The kit is $499, and I’d recommend the “long legs” and “pre-drilled” options. I added levers, which increased the price but also the versatility. It’s a sturdy instrument, the company uses it in their local rental program.

She took lessons for almost a year on that harp before she moved to a pedal harp. She’s 16 now and has a L&H 85CG and an 85P. However, she still gets use out of the kit harp. She performs with a local theater group during the summer and has played that harp in productions of Romeo and Juliet and Twelfth Night.

Hope this was helpful, Patrick. If you’re still looking for a solution, good luck. If you’ve found an answer, congratulations!

Fred

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies