Hands

Posted In: How To Play

• Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #243721

Heidi does have relatively long fingers, not too thin, but what is distinctive is that she always closes them, or virtually always, all the way into her palm. That way, they do not get into each other’s way. I was privileged to see many of her performances, and they were by far the most inspiring I ever saw, and I saw quite a few harpists perform in New York City. It’s no wonder she won the Avery Fisher Prize. Before Yo-Yo Ma.

Participant
    Saul Davis Zlatkovski on #243722

It is indeed remarkable how cleanly Alice plays, given the unforgiving presence of digital microphones placed far too close to the harp. We hear the strings and not the resonance. It seems she is also coming to resemble Edna Phillips! It’s also worth noting what is the same and what is different when you have two (or more) harpists from the same training/schooling.

Participant
    jsmoir on #260089

Help! So, I am (as you know) a large man, with hands that can span a tenth on the piano. I also have some wrist mobility issues, due to age (not carpal tunnel). I’ve been very lucky with RH Harmonics, but the LH variation just DOESN’T Work for me. I get wrist pain, and my ratio of success is less than 10%. When I used a RH approach with my LH, my teacher was not pleased. Any suggestions as to how to get the LH lower palm pad and thumb to work together, and to not hurt in LH harmonics?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.