harpcolumn

Flying with Harpsicle

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Flying with Harpsicle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kate Hinke
    Participant

Now that airlines are running fewer flights, and every flight I’ve been on in the last two years has been running full, what’s the chance of being able to take a Harpsicle in its case onto a flight? I’ve done it in the past, but that was about five years ago. We usually fly Southwest, and I know their policy says 24″x10″x16″ for music instruments, and the Harpsicle case is approximately 36″ long.

Thoughts? If they wouldn’t let it go and I had to gate-check it (meaning it would then come up with the luggage on the other end, according to Southwest’s policies), any thoughts on packing it better than just being in the case?

Thanks!

Leslie Jabara
    Participant

I flew on Southwest this past Christmas and carried on a Triplett Christina. Had a few moments wondering “what if they don’t let it on?” but had no issues. I think Southwest might be better than other airlines since they don’t make you pay to check your luggage. It seems their overhead bins aren’t as full.

Even the TSA people were really friendly and made sure nothing bumped into the harp on the conveyor.

I would just plan on arriving as early as possible and checking in 24 hours in advance online so you’re in an early boarding group.

shannon-schumann
    Participant

I have flown with a Harpsicle on Southwest several times in the past year. I had *one* problem, but otherwise

shannon-schumann
    Participant

OK, here’s the latest. I’ve flown three times in the past month with a Blevins Marie 24, slightly bigger than a Harpsicle. (Dimensions, from Blevins’s site: 36″ h x 8.5″ (soundboard width) x 19.5″ (front to back))

Absolutely no problems, even on the flight that was completely full. The flight attendants kept an eye out and made sure nobody crammed their suitcases in with the harp.

I am lucky to fly on the A list, and so I was always one of the first 30 people on the flight. I doubt that you’d have a problem unless you ended up with a B or C boarding pass, so I think it would be worth your while to pay the extra $10 each way for the earlybird checkin.

Good luck, but unless you have a last minute delay, I think you will be fine!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies