harpcolumn

: “finger placement” concept: questions not often asked?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists : “finger placement” concept: questions not often asked?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    deb-l
    Participant

Sam, the way I see it, you need lots of training in classical harp technique for pedal harp and for classical harp in general.

samantha-t

Thanks – that’s my sense. I have had years and years of intense classical training on another instrument and in voice. I have to admit I’m enjoying messing around on the harp by myself, rather than in the context of formal lessons. I’m thinking that there are many stellar folk musicians – including some very famous ones! – who have never taken a lesson in their lives, and they do things “wrong.” (In some cases the wrongness becomes a part of their style!) Of course, this means that they can’t play absolutely anything; they’re quite circumscribed in what they can do.

I’m thinking primarily of guitarists and singers here, I suppose. I guess it all depends on what I want to get out of the harp. I think avoiding injury and promoting tension-free playing is always important though.

I do run into questions I simply can’t answer without going to someone else and in that case fellow musicians such as yourselves are invaluable. I think that’s how folk musicians learn too, from hanging out with other musicians. That is a kind of teaching, I guess.

Apparently we used to have a folk harp society in my area which would have meetings where advanced players would help out beginners. But it disbanded a while ago. Too bad.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies