harpcolumn

Faure Impromptu

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Faure Impromptu

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    phill-w
    Participant

Dear community

This is a big ask but I’m going to ask it anyway.

I am just starting to learn this piece, which I have always loved. I have recently back to playing the pedal harp after some time away from it (long story and not entirely by choice) and found this score amongst some old music. However, I do not have an annotated version of this score with the pedal markings, and after a week of trying to pedal it myself, I am struggling a bit. I’m quite isolated from other pedal harpists now as well so don’t have anyone local to ask.

To get to the point….So, I wondered – would anyone be really nice and let me see how they have pedalled this piece? In exchange for letting me crib someone else’s homework, I will happily make a small donation to a charity of your choice if you wish! I have loads of other music fully marked up but just not this one. Happy to reciprocate though if anyone else ever needs a peek at some of my scores

I’m asking this question on the basis if I don’t ask, I don’t get. Thanks in advance for reading!

Phil,,
    You did not say with which edition of the Faure Impromptu, Opus 86, you are working. If it is the Durand, and I compare it with the Peters, just by looking at the first page of each, one sees that the Durand has no pedal markings there, while the Peters has quite a few. The entire 15 pages of the Peters (Edition Peters Nr. 9485, 1975 Leipzig ) printed in the same volume as Une Chatelaine en sa Tour, Op.110, is full of single and double pedal markings, even helpfully connecting some with a line when that pedal should be held until an indication for its release. I notice no fingerings whatever, but patterns of where three or four fingers should be placed are so recognizable that this piece could be well understood by someone who was well taught to intermediate level by some of the standard methods and etude books that have stood the test of time. That is not to say that the piece is for intermediate level players! It demands a mature, advanced technique with delicacy AND ELEGANCE . Since you have no harpist nearby to help, and the piece is copyrighted to protect the rights of publishers, I’d suggest buying a different edition than the one with no pedal markings. The Peters is an option; others on this forum may want to offer their own opinions. If you join American Harp Society you’ll have access to contact information of thousands of other harp players, in the U.S. and several foreign countries. Many of these have the Impromptu under their fingers and may be generous to help others.

phill-w
    Participant

Dear Patricia

Thank you very much for your response. I agree entirely that it is not a piece for intermediate players, which is why I have not played it until quite late on in my life.

I will look for the edition you recommend. The edition I have I got free online through IMSLP and actually has some markings but rather helpfully it is incomplete, hence my request.

Thanks for your time and have a great day

Phill

seika-dong
    Participant

Hi Phill, I have been preparing the Faure Impromptu for a competition and would be happy to show you my annotations if you still need them. Feel free to message me any time.

phill-w
    Participant

Hi Seika – I am messaging you now!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies