harpcolumn

Etudes with beginning students

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Etudes with beginning students

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    carl-swanson
    Participant

I’ll repeat a story here that I know I posted someplace else on this site.

unknown-user
    Participant

I wonder if you don’t get the same results from practicing sight-reading. I went back to some Naderman Sonatinas and such, and having them ringing in my ears after playing was almost torture. I don’t think any etude should be assigned if it isn’t worthwhile music. Damase has written some nice etudes, and I think we should get more serious composers to write etudes for the harp. Perhaps someone should organize such a project. I, for one, find them difficult to compose, though not exercises.

I had a similar experience when I finished my masters degree and began having to do office work. Without three hours to practice, I started to lose my sureness, and I didn’t have a maintenance regime developed. I went back to Miss Lawrence for lessons for several months, and I got right back on track. I have never found any exercises better than Salzedo’s Conditioning Exercises, just supplemental. I still use them as my basic daily routine, I just learned more ways to use them. For instance: I take one and play it in four different tempi. 16th = 60, 8th = 60, 1/4=60 , 1/2=60. This works great with number 1,2,3,10. Then I used to follow with orchestra parts, especially Tchaikovsky cadenzas, or Wagner. For years, I used the Magic Fire Music by Wagner. It really helps when you have auditions come up.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies