harpcolumn

Entire Harp Music Collection

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists Entire Harp Music Collection

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sharon-avis–2
    Participant

Are there any harpists who are trying to downsize their harp music collection?

I wonder whether an organization such as the World Harp Congress or American Harp Society would be interested in taking the music off your hands, for distribution to schools or students who cannot afford to buy it. Or, you could put your collection on Amazon or Ebay and see what happens.

carl-swanson
    Participant

I would suggest that both the American Harp Society and the World Harp Congress, at their conferences, have a booth where people with music they don’t want can donate it to those organizations and that they in turn make it available to anyone who wants it, either free or pay by the pound, the money going to the organization. This could also be done at the regional or chapter level.

tony-morosco
    Participant

I can understand why the local library wouldn’t necessarily put your entire collection in the stacks. They have limited space and most small, local public libraries have to balance out the convenience of having everything with those space limitations. They tend to keep what is most likely going to be requested, plus a few odd things, and rely on interlibrary loan for the requests for most of the unusual items.

So to make your music collection available to students in it’s entirety you will want to give it to a library that has reason to think that there will be some kind of a demand for it, and the best bet would be a library at a college that has a harp program.

kreig-kitts

If most of these are readily available commercially, most institutions would spend more resources sorting them

Tacye
    Participant

I use libraries very little for solo music, and mostly for getting photocopies of out of copyright, out of print, rarities.

The Bagaduce Lending Library in Maine is building a collection of harp music, as far as I know.

sharon-avis–2
    Participant

I certainly appreciate all of your comments!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies