harpcolumn

Dresses for Performin the Harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Young Harpists Dresses for Performin the Harp

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Laura Adams

I wondered if any other young harpists had advice on where they shop for dresses for playing at concerts, weddings etc.? I have just started performing for various events and really want a dress that I can wear in a church and for other events- maybe something in beige. I looked at the other advice on the forum but all the things reccomended were a bit too old- I’m 20. Any suggestions?

PS I live in UK so recommendations for website would be best
    Thanks

Tacye
    Participant

Some of my favourite harping dresses came from Monsoon’s sales.

laura-palmieri
    Participant

I am 22 and also a poor college student but I actually find a lot of beautiful dresses at my local thrift shops and second hand stores. They are inexpensive and they are very unique for playing the harp. When I was in England, I saw a couple of

Laura,

Bridesmaid dresses might be another source. One harpist I know has a beige Jessie McClintock lacy dress bought on sale, that is highly appropriate for any age harpist.

I think the style is the main thing. Depending where you are playing, you want to look professional more than fashion-conscious. You need functional outfits, too. Too-long skirts can interfere with pedaling, and too-frilly outfits are distracting or noisy when you move. Being in England, hats are another issue. I believe they are standard for churches, so perhaps there are very small ones you can wear to one side away from the harp. I think you would also want a simple, black dress that you can wear for funerals and church services. You can accessorize to accent the look. Pins, belts, scarves are all very flexible. I do find that women who wear very fashionable outfits while playing detract from their playing if the dress calls attention to itself. One harpist did a recital in a dress with a twenty-foot train, and it overshadowed her program. I think good costume jewelry is also something to look into, necklaces and earrings, especially vintage pieces.

barbara-brundage
    Participant

>One harpist did a recital in a dress with a twenty-foot train

Who was this, Saul?

Should I even say? I remember it as Isabelle Morreti’s debut recital in New York, but I wouldn’t swear to it, it might have been someone similar, it was a long time ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Young Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies