harpcolumn

Downward arpeggios

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums How To Play Downward arpeggios

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gretchen Cover
    Participant

I am working on a couple pieces that require a bit more speed and dexterity than I could provide. In trying to problem solve how to get more speed and keep the notes even, I figured out that working intensely on downward arpeggios will work wonders for playing. Why I didn’t discover this years ago is beyond me. But it really works. And, I highly recommend this for the uh-em older harpists like me to keep your fingers limber.

I started with reworking Little Fountain by Samuel Pratt (written for lever harp) and then started on La Source by A. Hasselman. I went through all my music and also found “Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus” arranged by McDonald-Wood (excellent to practice rolled chords, too) and Lo, How a Rose, E’er Blooming arranged by Frank Voltz.

I hope in my lifetime to play La Source well, but I can now at least play the other three after all this cross-training. Well, I thought I would share this so maybe it would help another harpist’s playing.

Alison
    Participant

Touche – I’d never learnt downward arpeggios properly either until I played La Source and knew they were a weak spot. I regard La Source as a Grade-8 level study, so how difficult is Little Fountain ? (it’s familiar but not in my library of music) and thanks for pointing out that is it for lever harp.

Gretchen Cover
    Participant

O, How A Rose E’er Blooming arr. Frank Voltz is written for lever harp, too. It has both lever and pedal markings.

Re: Little Fountain. There are no pedal changes. The downward arpeggios for the most part repeat themselves. Notes are the same for both hands. I would put it in the intermediate level. You can hear clips on youtube.

Alison
    Participant

yes it’s not exactly beginners stuff…
    The Little Fountain by Samuel O. Pratt, Ana Harp: http://youtu.be/yZreDLhVuSY

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies