harpcolumn

Double majoring…

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp Double majoring…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    madeline-davis–2
    Participant

I am not quite yet at the age where I have to make these decisions (I could finish next year though with the typical four-year I would graduate in 2016) but I do want to prepare myself and think & plan ahead. I’ve always thought I’d be an English major, but with musical studies I have in more recent years considered majoring in Music. Is it possible or reasonable to do both? Or double major in Music and Foreign language? (I know the English/Foreign language is doable as that’s the rout my mother took, and it doesn’t seem impossible for me). Does anyone have experience with this? How did it work out, and did you manage it? Thank your for all you help and advice, I really appreciate it!

Hi,
    I am just finishing off my first year at university and I’m doing a double major. My first major is music and my second one is neuroscience.
    The reason I picked this combination is … well, the only thing I knew I wanted to do at uni was music, but my parents wanted me to do something on the side, as a ‘safety net’, and as I’m interested in music therapy, neuroscience sounded like a good idea. At my university, since music is my first major, I get my harp tuition for free.
    In terms of workload, this year was not too bad. This semester was hectic as I agreed to do chamber music, which was very demanding. But I don’t regret taking music. The things I have learnt, music-theory wise, and harp-related wise, have been really helpful.
    I actually quite enjoyed having a non-music unit on the side. It was good because I felt like I was learning something completely different, and it stimulated my interest in a field other than music. It was also great in the sense that when I wanted a break from music, I had something else to focus on.
    If I were you, I would probably go for the option of doing a double major. I mean, why not? You get to do music, and learn something else at the same time. If you are not sure about what you want to do, it is best to keep all doors open. Maybe after one year of doing a double major, you’ll realise you’ll want to do just music, or just English/foreign languages with music as a hobby or something.
    I hope that helped a little 🙂

Assuming you already speak and write very good English, I think music and a foreign language would be a good double major because so many terms on pages of music, are in Italian. The whole field of music is becoming more globally oriented all the time. My personal experience in a music conservatory in New York was that along with my music major I chose Italian for three years and loved it, opening up my understanding of texts in opera, opportunities for overseas study in Italy, and on and on, You could broaden your English experience on your own time, through reading some Great Books, and viewing offerings from http://www.thegreatcourses.com which has a free catalog of its many DVDs and texts.

Madeline Davis
    Participant

Thank you very much both of you for the suggestions, though now I’m looking for where I might find a good program for both… Thank you very much for your advice!

madeline-davis–2
    Participant

I know it has been quite a while, but that in fact was part of why I wanted to ask something: How is it going? How are you finding double-majoring working out? And any suggestions abut where you looked to find good programs for both? Thank you!

Unfortunately, tuition has become so very high at many music schools that it would be impossible for me to attend my old alma mater where I obtained two degrees, today. Back then, I was able to work three summers as a waitress at a resort for affluent New Yorkers in Lake Placid, New York. Tips were generous, almost covering the tuition for the next semester, However, my music major enabled me to be chosen to head the string music department of a four-year college, the month after earning the Master of Music degree, The Italian foreign language helped me with my required thesis on the music of Carlo Tessarini, and also with visiting Italy several times. Be sure to see Venice before it goes under the waves!
    These days Italian is still helpful because some harp books, like the Grossi Intermediate exercises, are written with Italian text and my students usually benefit if I can translate for them. There is an Italian Society in many large cities like mine, and reading and speaking that language has led to new friendships, for which I am so grateful.You don’t have to stop with one foreign language; learn one or two more!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies