harpcolumn

Does anyone have the Camac ‘Janet’?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Does anyone have the Camac ‘Janet’?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    andee-craig
    Participant

I currently play a Dusty Strings FH32 which I love. I have had it for 15 years. It has a big, deep rich sound. However, I am really missing those two bottom strings and am now starting to at least *think* about buying another harp.

I was attracted to the Camac Janet because of it being designed specifically for Janet Harbison (for playing traditional Irish tunes quickly with slightly closer string spacing).

I recently visited the Early Music Shop in Saltaire (in the UK) and tried one and ended up playing it for an hour in the shop! I did really like it but without my Dusty there to compare it’s hard to tell for sure. I will go back and play it again and maybe even bring my Dusty along for comparison.

I am interested in hearing others’ opinions, so does anyone here have one or have at least tried one and what do you think?

iris-linkletter
    Participant

I am of no real help I just bought a dusty crescendo in sapele wood and until then I was playing on rented stoney ends, but I looked into Camas before I went with the crescendo, they are not the available in my area. Good luck with the query.

Hi Andee,

I have tried a Janet at the shop where I bought my Silver Spear harp, some four years ago, and from what I recall it is definitely a nice harp. The closer string spacing is not really a big difference IMO. I also tried some Dusty harps during the same visit and compared them all, which made me buy the Silver Spear in the end, but that’s a decision made for a specific reason which you can read below.

I think you describe the sound of your Dusty quite well: a deep, rich sound. In fact they produce the most powerfull tone of all lever harps I’ve tried, with quite a lot of sustain, even more than what I personally want from a harp… I play Vollenweider style, which means melody lines and staccato chords instantly muted most of the time, so that’s why I don’t want too much sustain and chose the harp I finally bought. But the sound is beautiful and I consider it to have a richer tone and a wider sound range than the Janet.

But I guess your suggestion of bringing your Dusty there and compare it with the Janet is the best option…just let your ears (and your heart) decide. Good luck!

I’ve never played one but I heard a Janet at a blind harp tasting several years ago and it was one that strongly resonated with me.

deb-l
    Participant

Hi Andee, I tried a Janet alongside my Aziliz and lusted for it ever since! I thought the strings felt nicer under my fingers than the dusty, they seemed to be thinner and have more stretch. Maybe my imagination, not sure if camac makes their nylon strings differently.. It had a very sweet sound and I liked it a lot for Irish dance tunes. It had some lovely resonance, but less sustain than a dusty. It did not have as strong a bass as a dusty though, every harp has its limitations.

I think it’s funny you are just looking although you played it for an hour : ). If you were too keep your Dusty it might be a nice combination for you. If your thinking of selling your dusty, and if you will miss the powerful bass, you might want to reconsider. Portability is a great factor but not as much as tone. If you’ve been happy with that harp all these years maybe you should consider a 36 to lug around.
    : )

I love Harrison’s arrangements too, although I have to order them from Ireland, can’t get them anywhere in the US…that was part of the draw for me for her harp. I play mostly her arrangements, I like them better than any other, need to study up on her course and learn to arrange for myself, her tutorials are excellent.

andee-craig
    Participant

Almost 4 months later and I realized I never responded to everyone and don’t even think I saw most of your posts!!

Thank you all for your input, it’s all helpful and I am still considering the Janet but haven’t had time to go back and try it again (still planning on bringing my Dusty along for comparison).

I don’t think I will ever sell my Dusty, but I do have an FH26 Dusty that I would consider selling if I bought the Janet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies