harpcolumn

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Divas

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Ice
    Participant

Here’s a new thread, and a totally unexpected experience for me.

I was recently involved in a huge concert/television taping.

tony-morosco
    Participant

Unfortunately the concept of a Diva has changed from someone who sings like a goddess to someone who thinks the world revolves around her.

Jerusha Amado
    Participant

Between divas and bridezillas, I don’t know how you full-time pros keep your sanity!

Jerusha

Amen, Tony. As someone with a master’s in vocal performance who has done some opera performing, I can’t agree with you more. I was taught that a true diva is a singer with responsibilities and grace and not someone who made life miserable for others. It was a title earned, and something to be proud of. This “diva” slapped onto every screeching little witch irritates me.

Briggsie

carl-swanson
    Participant

Their behavior is reprehensible. But there is one reason and on reason only that this sort of behavior continues to flourish, and that is that everyone is afraid to say NO to them. Diva behavior is nothing more than narcissistic behavior. And I learned way too late in my life that if you tell them no, they will back down.

What I resent about narcissistic people is that they force ME into the position of putting limits on THEIR behavior. They don’t seem to have any internal sense of limits. So they push and insist and walk all over people until they are told to stop. I have a short list of people in the harp world that I will never, NEVER deal with again exactly because of this kind of behavior. David, your conductor should have put a stop to this right at the beginning.

David Ice
    Participant

Hi Carl,

Well, our poor conductor literally looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies