harpcolumn

Different players can change a harp’s sound

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Different players can change a harp’s sound

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    karen-koh
    Participant

I’ve always been told that the sound of an instrument will change according to an individual’s playing style.

For example, if my student is allowed to practice on my harp for 3 hours, when I again play my harp it sounds and feels different from usual.

Is this a real thing or am I merely imagining it? I can’t find any information about it online (perhaps I am not using the correct search terms).

Yes, in time, the wood fibers will change their alignment according to who plays it regularly. School harps that are regularly played by many people lose their focus. My teacher, Frances Miller, told me that, and every summer, she would take one or more university harps to her cabin, and play scales and exercises on them until the sound was revived. My own harp has changed greatly over the years. You can control the sound as long as the wood is able to be cooperative. And even when a harp has a new owner, it will retain some of the signature of the previous owner.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies