"D.C. al Fine" and repeats

Posted In: Coffee Break

• Participant
    Nancy Edwards on #241632

When playing a D.C. al Fine section, are any repeats in that section played, or is it just played straight through?

Participant
    charles-nix on #241635

I’ve always understood that D.C. and D.S. did _not_ include the repeats. However in searching around the internet, I find there is some controversy about that for Beethoven and later. For Classical and earlier period, though, without repeats is assumed unless indicated otherwise. Musically, you’re likely looking at a recapitulation of material you’ve already played twice (at least). I’d think four times (with repeats) would often be really boring.

But what works musically? Are the repeats with improvisation?

The rules may be entirely different for pop songs, especially ones that originally had lyrics.

Participant
    Nancy Edwards on #241638

Thank you, Charles. I agree playing with repeats again would be just long and boring, and anyone listening would be wondering when is it going to finally end?

Participant
    wil-weten on #241664

Like charles-nix I always understood dat D.C and D.S did not include the repeats. There are a few exceptions, but then I expect a text like D.C or D.S followed by ‘con repetitione’ or ‘con rep.’

Participant
    hearpe on #241754

I’ve always understood that D.C. and D.S. did _not_ include the repeats. However in searching around the internet, I find there is some controversy about that for Beethoven and later

Ha. And sooooo typically internet somehow, where it seems that nothing is ever really verifiable but an ongoing argument between self-appointed “experts”

The “information highway” is cluttered with the rocks of large egos.

Personally. I often repeat the phrases for practice, but I know they generally are ignored on the second pass.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.