I am a composer who has a specific interest in writing repertoire for students. I have had two books of elementary-level piano pieces published, and have also recently completed similar collections for violin (I teach both instruments). I would like to explore the idea of writing for students of other instruments, including harp. I have a few questions before embarking on this project:
- Is it best to write for lever harp? It seems that lever harp is more predominant among less advanced students, but please correct me if I���m wrong about this.
- Is there any particular reason that students choose to play the harp? Any particular music that they tend to enjoy?
- Do harp students tend to be male or female? Do they tend to be any particular age?
- Are there any special playing techniques that are especially useful or enjoyable for harp students?
- Harp teachers: what do you look for when choosing music for your elementary-level students?
I would be grateful for any knowledge that I could gain.