harpcolumn

Carolan, “Mrs. Judge”

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Carolan, “Mrs. Judge”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ken H.
    Participant

Hi Friends!

tony-morosco
    Participant

Is that a different piece from his “Madam Judge”? If not then there is a very nice arrangement of it alredy done by Maire Ni Chathasaigh in her book The Irish Harper Vol II.

Fearghal McCartan
    Participant

Yes it really is a lovely tune – I have been playing it for several years now. It is also known as Madame Judge and is one of O’Carolan’s more classically styled compositions for a patron – especially with the jig ending.

I recommend playing the piece in the following way (though this is just personal choice – but has served well at harp competitions/music festivals etc): Play 1st part & repeat, play 2nd part & repeat, play 1st and 2nd parts again in same style. Then move to the jig to end the piece. The jig however can/should (you decide)

Ken H.
    Participant

Hi Fearghal,

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Ken, you can buy it here (location is England, but he accepts credit cards):

http://www.earlygaelicharp.info/emporium/books/carolan.htm

My suggestion is to go for the latest edition of Donal O’Sullivan’s biography, in one volume (black cover, second title down). It contains every word of the original two volumes, plus an appendix I wrote concerning some newly-discovered material from a manuscript in Scotland, and some other updates. (The first edition is about 60-odd years old.)

If that link doesn’t work you can email an enquiry to simon@simonchadwick.net

Dr. O’Sullivan’s work has not been bettered, and you’ll probably also like some of the amusing anecdotes that Carolan and other harpers got up to. They make great stage chat!

Bonnie Shaljean
    Participant

Sorry, THIRD title down. The black cover, anyway.

Ken H.
    Participant

Hi Bonnie,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies