harpcolumn

Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon!

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Carbon Fiber Concert Harps….Please soon!

Viewing 4 posts - 106 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    barbara-brundage
    Participant

>What harpists of the day did, as you would expect, is buy the double action harp and use it like a single action instrument, because that’s what they were used to. They would tune it in E flat and then use half of the mechanism. Even Berlioz complained about this in his treatise on orchestration.

But that kind of proves what I’m saying. Why did they buy them at all, then? It’s not like single-action harps disappeared from the market. They bought ’em because they saw the advantages of the sturdier harps, whether or not they wanted two rows of discs.

carl-swanson
    Participant

Barbara- I think that’s probably it. Who know what the market forces were at that time. maybe the double action was introduced at a very good price. maybe it was the ‘look’ that interested people. Maybe the overall mechanism worked more smoothly and more accurately than the Nadermann single actions. Any or all of these things could have sparked interest and sales initially.

kreig-kitts

Even if people didn’t know just what it did, perhaps they thought a double action must be better than a mere single action. Sort of how we buy razors with four blades, when we were shaving perfectly fine with three blades, or even a mere two, before that.

Here’s a random question I’ve asked myself: if someone does make a harp where the body is made of a very strong but lightweight materials, and the action stays the same on top, could the harp become top-heavy and prone to tipping without some additional weight put back in for balance?

Pat Eisenberger
    Participant

I know that this discussion is about carbon fiber pedal harps, but this past spring Dave Woodworth of Heartland Harps told everyone about the process involved in creating his carbon fiber lever harps. The cost was incredible. The first time I heard it last year I didn’t think it rang out enough. Either my ear has changed, or he’s done something to change the sound because I really liked it this year. He’s now developed a way to paint them, so that you don’t have to stick with the standard black model. If I could afford to get another harp, I think this would be the one.

Viewing 4 posts - 106 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.