harpcolumn

Building the wire strung harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Harps and Accessories Building the wire strung harp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Biagio
    Participant

At Balfour’s suggestion I’ve started a documentary to share with y’all of this project. (I usually do that anyway for my records but in a less readable way – LOL). Rather than take up a lot of white space I’m putting this stuff in a file on the Yahoo! group I moderate, so those not interested can ignore the thing. First step in any new design: the string band. Here are the data:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/virtualharpcircle/files/Building%20A%20Wire%20Harp/

First is a rough graph of the string lengths, followed by charts of tension %tension and tension/length and finally the raw data.

It’s a 32 string high head harp, and pretty much has to be unless I were to make the bass strings silver (too rich for my blood) or wound (yuck). I chose bronze over brass because it is more easily available around here – but brass would have a similar profile.

Questions and suggestions are most welcome; it will be a good while before the data starts to turn into wood and metal!

Biagio

Allison Stevick
    Participant

I’m glad you’re sharing your project with us! It will be cool to see the progress.

balfour-knight
    Participant

Way to go, Biagio! Thanks for doing this!
    Balfour

Biagio
    Participant

Thank you Allison and Balfour! The design phase always takes the longest LOL. First I get the “numbers to look as I want: T/L to decline smoothly from (in this case) around 3.50 to 1.00, %T from 60% to 30% with decent looking lengths. That’s what is posted over on the virtual harp circle.

Then comes the “interesting” part: transfer it to a drafting table and change things until it actually will look nice. In this case, adjust a few lengths in the upper register and lower the height by about 6 inches. That will make the last two strings wound silver over bronze (nuts). Well, I can live with that.

So now I’ll hang it on the wall and forget about it for awhile, since experience says there will always be more changes – grin.

Biagio

Biagio
    Participant

Well, finally (I did say that design takes the most time – grin)! I did not like size of the thing (about 60″/1.5m) with all bronze strings so changed some of the bass to bronze core with silver wrap; the top three string I changed to steel, since there was not as much finger room as I’d like with bronze. Charts and data are here:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/virtualharpcircle/files/Building%20A%20Wire%20Harp/

in the file “Final String Band.” It will be 48″/1.2m tall in sapele. Whew! Now to wait for better weather….

Biagio

balfour-knight
    Participant

Biagio,

Glad to hear about your updated design! Talk about waiting for better weather, we finally are getting Spring-like weather in Western North Carolina. Today’s temps were in the high 60’s! (Fahrenheit) We even have crocus and daffodils beginning to bloom! I know this warmth won’t last, but we are enjoying it for a few days, anyway.

Best thoughts,
    Balfour

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies