harpcolumn

Book suggestion wanted: beginning Hymn music for lever harp

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Amateur Harpists Book suggestion wanted: beginning Hymn music for lever harp

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

Not wedding music, but just traditional church hymns–my daughter is a beginning harpist and would love to add some hymns to her “fun practice” on the side.

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I actually just found this myself:

http://www.harpcenter.com/page/SWHC/PROD/SWBooks/5921Z

While some of it is wedding music, and there are some Jewish celebratory songs included, most of the songs

unknown-user
    Participant

Thank you!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

No prob!

One of the nice things about these “multi-level” books is that, as she progresses, and becomes able to play the more advanced arrangements, the simpler arrangements still work very well as a way to vary the performance.

Karen Johns
    Participant

That is one song from the Christmas book that really gets me.. I’ve blended it with O Come O Come Emmanuel and call it my “Meditative Medley”. The ending of the piece combines both melody lines. I

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

It’s a favorite Advent hymn at my church…you ought to hear the descant on the final verse!

Karen Johns
    Participant

I would love to hear it! I’m Catholic (just going through RCIA) and, being new to the faith, I’m not sure what they refer to this tune by. I know the pianist plays it beautifully though.

BTW- I ordered my Sweetheart whistle!! I read your reviews on C&F too. Went to Sweethearts website and couldn’t find the wooden

unknown-user
    Participant

There are some easy hymn arrangements from Pretty Quick Music. It’s at hornandharp.com.

Lever harpists who have been playing for about a year, may like to learn simple accompaniments to hymns, while they either sing the melody, or have one or more friends who can play the melody. This is so useful to accompany choirs in the church service. Many harp music dealers carry the volume “Familiar Hymns With a Friend”, with 21 favorites, published by Herald Music. A CD with Danielle Perrett, London harpist,is included, as are string quartet parts.

unknown-user
    Participant

Thank you for the additional suggestions!

Audrey Nickel
    Participant

I got mine yesterday as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Amateur Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies