harpcolumn

Bearded harpists on YouTube?

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Coffee Break Bearded harpists on YouTube?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Angela Biggs

Hi all,

I just finished up my community college course, and now I’m working on a shorter, more playing-intensive course to present in partnership with the [WCCMA](http://www.wcc-ma.org/). Since my newspaper/posted fliers/college catalog advertising did not generate a single local student, for this class I’m going to take one of my Harpsicles and go door-to-door over several weekends. I’m designing a quarter-page flyer right now.

I live in a very poor, rural city (13,000 people total, in NH), and the vast majority of males here are very protective of their status as males. I don’t expect to pull in any grown men to my classes, but I do hope against hope to get some boys or young men involved — and that means first of all that they need to be interested, and secondly that their parents need to allow them to go.

So, I’m looking for a male harpist on YouTube with a stereotypically old-fashioned male appearance — burly, a full beard would be good — to reference on the flier. I know about Josh Layne, and though I refer people to his Harp Tuesdays and love to watch him play, he is refined. I like that, but I’m targeting a group which wouldn’t. I’m considering listing Chris Caswell, but he has those soft, flowing grey locks and I wonder if there’s someone less gentle-looking. In fact, if you know of a bearded male harper or harpist of decent ability on YouTube wearing flannel and a fur-lined hunter’s hat, that would be perfect!

Thank you. 🙂

kreig-kitts

John Kovac has tons of harp videos, mostly folk harps and folk music. You can find him on YouTube by searching for his name.

For classical music, maybe Sam Karlinski’s videos. Search for SKHarp23.

kreig-kitts

PS: John Kovac’s playing videos are usually posted under “Daily Harp Moment” so you can add that.

Angela Biggs

SKHarp23 will be a great example! The image is good (jeans, t-shirt, shaggy head) and he’s clearly playing with a lot of strength. I’m using DHC for the “not just classical music” part, so classical will work well for the male example. Thanks, Kreig. 🙂

paul-knoke
    Participant
    Sherri Matthew
    Participant

Hi Angela,
    Can’t help you there, but hope your class goes well for you! Let me know how it turns out for you, promotions and all. (by the way, my organist/carillonneur husband has a beard and wears flannel… for me, that’s the most handsome kind of guy! 🙂 And he does have a fur-lined hunter’s hat!

Sherj DeSantis
    Participant

What about Harper Tasche also? He’s a big, burly, bearded sort of a looking guy…

paul-knoke
    Participant
    andee-craig
    Participant

I can’t help you with this, but I do want to say I think Josh Layne is adorable!

andee-craig
    Participant

One of my favorite Irish harpers is Michael Rooney. He doesn’t have a beard and he’s not burly, but he’s very masculine.
    http://youtu.be/ZZmFhsy8QSU

deb-l
    Participant

how about John Dalton?

Angela Biggs

Wow, these are great examples!! I am delighted! Thank you all, I had no idea I would have so many to choose from!

Sherri — I would love to see a video of your husband playing the organ in his flannel and hunter’s hat. That would be so appropriate to our neck of the woods. Do you think you could convince him to do that? 🙂

Sherri Matthew
    Participant

Just come on up to Middlebury some time… it’s pretty cold in his church during the week! But you oughta see him bundle up for carillon lessons over at Norwich U. – now that’s raw over there. (they don’t heat the tower.) Pretty hardy students too!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.