harpcolumn

Advanced Christmas Music

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Repertoire Advanced Christmas Music

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hannah White
    Participant

Hello all! I was wondering if anyone had good recommendations for advanced Christmas music for harp solo or harp duo/trio. Something on the same level as Concert Variations on Adeste Fidelis by Carlos Salzedo? Give or take a bit on the level.

The first thing that springs to mind is the Interlude from A Ceremony of Carols by Britten, or one of the solos from Rutter’s Dancing Day.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-oa4O3WKRs (second solo at 12:54) Judy Loman wrote a little suite of Christmas carols, though I don’t know if she has published them. Kim Robertson’s collection of Christmas pieces have some quite challenging ones.

Hannah White
    Participant

Ah yes! The Ceremony of Carols Interlude. That’s a great one. I’ll look into the Rutter, and Judy Loman for sure! I didn’t know she had done a Christmas Suite.

Alison
    Participant

If you like Tournier, “Les Enfants a la Creche de Noel” is interesting and intriguing, but not everybody likes it, it’s characteristically quirky and I like it and it has the ‘Christmas sound’ !

Tournier also wrote a lovely suite Six Noëls, and Saint-Saëns wrote Variations Pastorales sur un vieux Noël. The Saint-Saëns can be played either as a solo or with a string quartet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s a great one.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies