harpcolumn

ABRSM Diplomas

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Teaching the Harp ABRSM Diplomas

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hannah White
    Participant

Hello all! I was curious if anyone has done any of the diplomas ABRSM provides for teaching? dipABRSM, LRSM, FRSM?

If so, how was your experience. How have you found it helpful for you today?

I think we need an American system, one more challenging, and geared to growth, and not spending years on insignificant music with little progress. The emphasis should be on major composers, to educate the pupil’s ears and minds.

Philippa mcauliffe
    Participant

I did the Australian system (AMEB) all the way through for piano – perhaps a bit more advanced per level compared with ABRSM with much more theory ( you have to do more theory exams than ABRSM and more advanced stuff) and general knowledge requirements as you go through. Harp had some major issues with AMEB (far, far too difficult – people were going to conservatories with grade 4 whilst every other instrument could achieve a grade per year easily and had diplomas whilst at school). I was a child of the Suzuki system for harp anyway. AMEB has recently revised their harp rep and tech requirements. What did it give me – the necessity of choosing and presenting essentially a recital each time. 4-5 pieces from lists ensuring different styles and eras (almost all “major” composers). Plus technical stuff, sight-reading, aural tests, a viva on the rep. I think it helped me prepare to perform to a deadline, made me go out and test my rep in performances and competitions before exams, made me look at all the choices carefully so I broadened my exposure to many composers, made me learn things I might not have chosen otherwise. It certainly meant that when I left school my general knowledge about classical music and theory was beyond that required for the first year conservatorium classes. I would say now that the Licentiate recital requirements exceeded those required for third year conservatorium performance exams. And were similar to those required for an advanced performance degree. Yes, I think those experiences all help me to perform better today on both instruments and help me to structure my teaching even if q pupil is not doing any
    formal exams.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Replies