harpcolumn

About working in a harp center

Log in to your Harp Column account to post or reply in the forums. If you don’t have an account yet, you’ll need to email us to set one up.

Home Forums Forum Archives Professional Harpists About working in a harp center

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    unknown-user
    Participant

It will be very helpful to have the copyright information, and I hope it explains the revised French policies that apparently allow no changes even to public domain works. I think sites like the IMSLP are helpful to musicians, but will kill music publishing, which is a terrible thing to do. Actually, much of publishing is already dead. Very few major publishers will publish instrumental music anymore, only that which is composed by their “house” composers. We are in a fairly disastrous situation, not remedied by self-publishing. One of the main reasons is the lack of professionalism. Presumably, a reputable publisher has skilled copyists, editors, and proofreading, which a self-publisher does not have unless they have a lot of money. Also, downloaded music does not print out in bound editions with good, strong paper. I think it should be viewable on the site, but not downloadable. Editions of public-domain composers like Beethoven keep the big houses alive, or they used to, so they can publish new music. That said, the site will undoubtedly provide me with more material than I can ever use for transcriptions and editions I’ll never find time to publish. Thank you for giving the information to us, I am not criticizing you for doing so, not at all. It’s just how making things free destroys our economy by eliminating businesses.

Lydia Michel
    Participant

Hi Clinton,

I, for one, absolutely love this website!!!!!!!! Actually, I’m more a pianist than a harpist (sorry!), and this site has

unknown-user
    Participant

The problem, as I see it, is that some people are so cheap, they will play off of loose sheets by putting them in plastic sleeves and never buy a published copy, and it just increases the risk of loss for any publisher, which is further discouragement. It is a great site for research purposes, certainly. I think I would prefer if the music were streamed but not printable. But, much of what is there is not printable, anyway, and there is very little usable for harp as far as I’ve seen. Publishing is just in a terrible situation these days.

HBrock25
    Participant

This site is amazing, however ALWAYS check anything you download with an original score. I have had trouble in the past with things such as clef changes and call numbers not being printed in some orchestral harp parts.

chia-chi-chiang
    Participant

Hello,
    I am quite curious about working at a harp center.
    I have heard many harp college students working at a harp center. What do they normally do ? Do they tune harps or anything else.
    I am asking because I need to think for financial matters in my college life? or anyone has other good ideas?

erin-wood
    Participant

I saw on the link that Carlos Salzedo is supposed to enter the public domain in 2012. I agree that if I am studying a solo piece than I would buy a hard copy but it is nice to preview it before hand and know that it is something at your level. I have found this sight most useful for orchestra parts so that I can be familiar with the piece before the orchestra gets it. I recently have been trying to look up the part for Prokofiev R&H suite number two and it is kind of frustrating that it is there but you can’t open it because of copyright laws I guess.

kreig-kitts

I’d buy a copy most of the time to have the paper paper, binding, etc., but still use the site for research or to satisfy curiosity about a piece.

One of my main uses is when I see the band’s new season repertoire announced. Most band transcriptions of orchestral pieces aren’t in public domain, but I can check out the originals and ask 1) Is there a harp part in the orchestral score? 2) Is it one I can play? 3) Is it a fun/interesting part?

Since our community arts center is doing Pirates of Penzance next year, I also looked up the old Gilbert & Sullivan to see if the viola part is something I could learn (no harp in G&S, and either way no harp in a poorly-air-conditioned theater in DC in early August with almost a story of steps to walk up and scarce

College is very expensive. I did not work in a harp center in those first four years, but as a waitress, for the three in-between summers, at a resort in the Adirondack mountains, where my conservatory professor was

Posted by Patricia Jaeger on
    College is very expensive. I did not work in a harp center in those first four years, but as a waitress, for the three in-between summers, at a resort in the Adirondack mountains, where my conservatory professor was a member of the resort orchestra. The tips were generous to both waitresses and golf caddies, all college age, because New Yorkers who could afford to be guests there, came up to escape the heat in New York City, for almost three months. The earnings from this hard work (our feet got so tired!) enabled me to continue my studies each fall. Also, I had a lesson once a week all summer from my professor.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Professional Harpists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Recent Replies